How well do your kids handle thunderstorms?

I didn't know what category to put it in, but I'm asking about kids at any age.

amessageofhope

Asked by amessageofhope at 1:08 AM on May. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• My kids are generally okay with them. We try to make them not scary. We look for the lightning and then count how long before the thunder comes. If they are not expecting a loud clap of thunder they startle a bit, but do okay after that. Most thunderstorms around here happen at night and they sleep through those.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:14 AM on May. 17, 2011

• DS is only 2, and we don't get a ton of thunder storms, but we have had a few, and DS is okay. We assure him that while it's loud, he's safe as long as he stays inside. DH and I both love thunderstorms, so I think it helps that we don't freak out, that we get excited and just sit and listen to them. Kids are very in tune with our emotions, and they read us very well.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:46 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Me, the dog and the kids all crawl under the covers and my brave hubby reassures us.
    blackisbetter

Answer by blackisbetter at 3:06 AM on May. 17, 2011

• My son loves thunderstorms. He wants the power to go out so we can use the oil lamps! That and he likes to see lightning, When he was little we told him when he heard thunder God and Jesus were bowling and that was when they got a strike so whenever he hears thunder he says "STRIKE!"
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 3:20 AM on May. 17, 2011

• My girls have always loved thunderstorms.  We sit in the garage and watch them in the summer.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:53 AM on May. 17, 2011

• One, thats funny. My g-grams used to tell us the angels were bowling and the lightning was the disco ball LOL. but my kids handle storms well, we sit on the front porch watching the lightning show. If they hit at night they sleep right through it!
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 7:02 AM on May. 17, 2011

• My kids are fine, my Golden Retriever on the other hand is a different story. Lol
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 9:26 AM on May. 17, 2011

• all my kids and pets like them...we love to watch them :)
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 3:13 PM on May. 17, 2011

• WE GET ALOT ITS NORMAL
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 11:08 PM on May. 17, 2011