How do you tell your child not to be friends with a mean girl?

This girl has had other girls go online and write about hating my daughter. Now the girl is apologizing for being the way she was.

SeasideNative

Asked by SeasideNative at 1:30 AM on May. 17, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• *sigh* teen drama...most of it works itself out eventually, but sometimes you need to step in. If there are threats of violence, get involved. Otherwise I think she kinda has to learn to work it out...she is learning what kind of people she wants to have as friends and what friendship really means/ is and unfortunately there will be a few rough years (if she is anything like the teen girls I've seen- my daughter is 17) Just remind her that girls can be horribly mean and to stick to what she thinks is right and no to stoop to thier level. That one day they will wake up and realise they are being jerks and hopefully they havn't burned all thier bridges by then

good luck! It's so hard to watch them deal with all the drama...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:46 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Do you have open communication with your daughter? Have you taked about choosing friends wisely before? if you have maybe you could just remind her of those conversations that you have had, and ask her what qualities she looks for in a friend, then ask her if she thinks this particular girl has them.....all of that stuff.........I would probably tell my daughter to accept her apology but to keep an open mind about this friend and some distance........you can only advise Mama......most teenagers go through a phase where they dont listen or they will befriend the wrong people, just try to keep open communication with her through it.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 1:48 AM on May. 17, 2011

• i have been there with my daughter. Fortunately the only place my daughter sees this girl is in school, so we are just counting down the days. I almost called the school because the girl was bullying her in class, but things have died down. Girls are so mean.
    3mom627

Answer by 3mom627 at 2:52 PM on May. 17, 2011

• She will have to figure it out on her own...the more you tell her not to hang out with her the more she will want to. Sorry mama!
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 1:36 AM on May. 17, 2011

• That's what I'm afraid of.
    SeasideNative

Comment by SeasideNative (original poster) at 1:42 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I've had a similar situation and lets just say it ended up in me fileing warrents against the girl and her sister and mom! good luck
    wubbunny420

Answer by wubbunny420 at 1:51 AM on May. 17, 2011