**VENT** I can't believe what I just saw!

Its 9 pm where I live and my hubby and I ran to the store to get a pop real quick and come back. On the way back we drove thru a parking lot with a couple of cars where people were hanging out. What got to me was when I looked on the ground between the vehicles they had a play pen type thing set up with towels and lawn chairs to surround the kids to block them in. These kids were all 6 or under. It was very dark and the parking lot is not well lit. It just blew my mind. I would have had my kids in bed by then with it being a school night. Its one thing for kids to be up and running around at home at that hour for some people, but in the middle of the parking lot on the ground?!?! Wheres their shoes??? I don't even know what to think!

***no bashing please, just needed to vent***

OurHeartsAwait

Asked by OurHeartsAwait at 3:11 AM on May. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• Wow that's insane. I couldn't imagine bringing my little one to hang out in a parking lot. Actually I haven't hung out in a parking lot since I was like 16 or 17!
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 3:14 AM on May. 17, 2011

• People can treat their children horribly. What you saw is definitely neglect if not abuse. Next time write down the license plate numbers and call them in to Social Services. Those of us who know better owe it to the children to intervene on their behalf.
    blackisbetter

Answer by blackisbetter at 3:15 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Maybe they are from Spain.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:16 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I don't see the problem with it. Obviously there were adults there and other people. Calling CPS JUST because the area wasn't well lit and they were out? I dunno. Seems kind of ridiculous to me. If they were getting beat or malnourished that's one thing, but who are you to set guidelines on someone else's childs bedtime?

For all you know they might have taken the kids to get away from the home because of a fire or maybe a plumbing issue forcing them to stay away while it gets fixed. There could be MANY reasons why. It's happened to us. We had to go out for some hours to wait for the issue to get handled so we could go back home. Didn't feel the desire to spend 100 bucks on a hotel room and didn't have time to gather things, so we just hopped in the car and went to some stores passing the time.

People want to complain about CPS/DHS controlling their lives, but then they're so quick to call them on others. Sigh!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:45 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I remember a few years ago I was catching a service bus quite late, (from work) it must have been about 9.30ish, it was winter, freezing cold, and icy, and there were two moms with thier prams and todlers walking around, I was so shocked! It was freezing cold, very dark and these two moms had their baby's and young infants out sooo late, some moms really surprise me, I 'd never do something like that, I even hate to take the little one out when it's picking to rain just incase he gets a cold or something!
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 4:14 AM on May. 17, 2011

• blank starePoor Kids....

Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 4:21 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I'm sorry, I don't really see the big deal either. Is it something I would do, probably not, but I don't think it's a horrible thing. The were supervised. Nothing dangerous or illegal was going on (that you know of)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:58 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Well does seem a little strange i for one wouldn't want to have my kids out so late. But to call CPS thats a tad drastic when you dont know the whole situation. CPS can reap serious havoc on a family that may not even need it like anon said what if there was a serious issue and then they could go right back home, they don't need cps crawling all over everything on top of whatever the issue may have been. But im sure it was disturbing to see them out like that and not know what is going on.
    Genice6

Answer by Genice6 at 10:31 AM on May. 17, 2011

• why is this a huge issue? You know nothng about them, maybe they were traveling hippies, maybe they were gypsies, maybe they were traveling and stoped to let the kids run a bit, i mean until you know the situation dont judge.... whenwe PCS ( military move) sometimes we drive 16-18 hours and stop to eat at 4 AM with the kids BUT noone knows why they are out that late....lol seems t be a jump to conclusions! And my kids normally go to bed at 7 PM....lol when you can step in their shoes and know the whole story, then by all means feel free to make a judgement!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 3:12 PM on May. 17, 2011