Cafe moms who have had a spinal for a c-section or Dr.s who do them....answers please

I am pregnant and expecting soon.I am already set up for a c-section because of my last labor, however during the last labor, it was an emergency and there wasn't any time to do a spinal so they gave me some stuff to knock me out and used an oxygen mask then cut me open. They had him out in less than 9 minutes.
My c-section (only one) was due to the fact that I went into labor 3 weeks early and the cord was pinched by my sons head and with each contraction his heartbeat dropped. it was in the 50's by the time I got him out. Thank GOD I didn't listen to the nurse who said "I think its just braxton kicks. Stay home, you'll be fine"......or they would have lost us both according to the doctors.
Fast forward. Now that I have a c-section set up, I need to know how many people have had a spinal without having permanent back damage after? Or for Doctors, how many succesful ones have you done? This scares me to death because I know several people that are now telling me they have permanent back damage because of the spinal procedure......Any info you can give would be great. I really don't know how they work other than the youtube vid I watched or how long they are really supposed to last......please no bashing, and thanks ahead of time.

OurHeartsAwait

Asked by OurHeartsAwait at 6:03 AM on May. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• i personally never had a c-section, i do know a few people that have and had a spinal - they have no problems now.. stop thinking negative!!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 6:09 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I have never had a c section with a spinal, but my sister has as well as several friends. Not one of them has permanent back damage. While I have heard of it, I do not know anyone personally who has experienced this.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:12 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I had a c-section with a spinal, I dont have permanent back damage, sometimes if touched in a certain spot in can be a little uncomfortable, but I am not even sure if that was caused from the spinal.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 6:15 AM on May. 17, 2011

• also this can happen with an epidural, not just a spinal, I know many women who have had spinals and epidurals none of them have damage.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 6:17 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I was wondering about the epidurals too.......I didn't have one with either labor previous to now. I've heard "they hurt or can make you sick"......but nothing else.......Believe it or not, as SCARY as the last labor was not knowing if we were both going to come out of it, I wasnt really told about the prodcedure, so though I am fine with being cut open again, I want to know about the rest of it since it wasn't done the first time. I appreciate any imput ;)
    OurHeartsAwait

Comment by OurHeartsAwait (original poster) at 6:21 AM on May. 17, 2011

• yeah I was scared to death about everything, im not good with pain....it tok a bit of time to get my spinal done and I was so worked up I was almost about to jump of the table, they have me something to calm me a little......but its all quickly forgotten once baby arrives.....good luck with it all!
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 6:24 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I think thats kinda funny because I wll probably be the same way. As contradictive as it is to have piercings all over and tattoos and 2 previous pregnancies where I was poked and prodded with needles, I'm still nervous lol.
    OurHeartsAwait

Comment by OurHeartsAwait (original poster) at 6:26 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I had an epidural when I was in labor with my son but had an adverse reaction to it-- it numbed my entire body, up to my neck, made my blood pressure drop as well as my son's heart rate, and made me very sick. They removed it promptly. I ended up having to have a c-section, too. And the spinal worked perfectly! I have had no permanent back damage from it and no one that I know that has had one has had any permanent back damage. You'll be ok. I understand your nervousness. I'm going for my second c-section this upcoming Monday and I'm just now starting to get nervous about it! lol Everything will be ok, though. Good luck!
    tiffanynichols

Answer by tiffanynichols at 6:49 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Just watch the doctor giving you the epidural VERY carefully. Mine dropped his needle and used it anyway. Two days later I was in a coma after having seizures... he caused me to get menegitis. That's a 1 in 100,000 chance.

I'm sure you'll be fine though, my doctor was just an idiot.
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 7:22 AM on May. 17, 2011

• My OB is a sweetheart but the other doctors and nurses are on my S-list. Im wondering where they got thier licenses. They cant seem to comprehend why Im nervous about this labor. I wish doctors had more understanding and compassion ;(
    OurHeartsAwait

Comment by OurHeartsAwait (original poster) at 7:30 AM on May. 17, 2011