DO YOU RSVP? WHAT DOES RSVP MEAN TO YOU?

R.S.V.P. stands for a French phrase, "répondez, s'il vous plaît," which means "please reply." The person sending the invitation would like you to tell him or her whether you accept or decline the invitation. That is, will you be coming to the event or not? Etiquette rules followed in most Western cultures require that if you receive a formal, written invitation, you should reply promptly, perhaps that same day. For hosts who are planning a dinner party, a wedding or a reception, this is important from a practical point of view, because they need to know how many people to count on and how much food and drink to buy. More important, though, is the simple courtesy of responding to someone who was nice enough to invite you, even if it is to say that you regret that you will not be able to attend.
WHEN YOU RECEIVE AN INVITATION, DO YOU RSVP? IF YOU DON'T, WHY NOT? I AM HAVING A REALLY HARD TIME UNDERSTANDING WHY SO MANY PEOPLE CHOOSE TO SIMPLY IGNORE INVITATIONS. HOW CAN SOMEONE PLAN A PARTY WITHOUT KNOWING HOW MANY WILL BE IN ATTENDANCE? HOW DIFFICULT IS IT TO JUST SAY, THANKS FOR THE INVITE BUT WE HAVE PLANS THAT DAY? WHAT ABOUT THOSE WHO DON'T RESPOND BUT SHOW UP ANYWAY? WHAT ARE THEY THINKING? WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO CONSIDERATION, GOOD MANNERS, COMMON COURTESY AND PROPER ETIQUETTE?

mommamiaria

Asked by mommamiaria at 6:55 AM on May. 17, 2011 in Entertainment

• People are lazy and they're not courteous. It's pretty simple.

That's why I personally plan small get togethers. I am able to talk to people before hand and ensure who is and is not coming. Yes I still send out invitations but I know most people are not going to RSVP properly, so I make it a point to figure it out myself. I suppose I could be a wench and if they don't RSVP not have anything for them when they show up, but that's just more drama than it's worth IMO.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 6:57 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I respond to invites even if there is no RSVP it's just the way I am.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 7:12 AM on May. 17, 2011

• We have never got formal invitations with RSVP on it.  But if I did. I would call or right the person and tell them yes or no to the gathering.

Answer by louise2 at 7:27 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I respond with a yes or no. It's not rocket science. Just yes or no. I think some people think they can keep the invitation open and as a second choice type of gathering if they don't reply.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 7:39 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I think that a lot of common courtesy has flown out the window over the several past generations. People are just typically more rude these days and tend to not consider others' feelings. I always RSVP - it's just courtesy. And thank you notes - I stress to my DD that these things are very important, if not to others than to herself. It is just good manners...
    BryRon

Answer by BryRon at 7:44 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Some people have a mountain of paper on their desk that the invitation gets lost in and when they finally get a chance to look at it again, the RSVP deadline has come and gone. Or, It might not be because they are holding out on you, it might be because they have a lot of other stuff going on in their life and rsvp's are pretty much the least of their concerns.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 7:47 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I sent an RSVP card with my wedding invites.. The RSVP was addressed and stamped. All it needed was them to write their name and check a line...

OMG...folks are having SO many issues with it. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:58 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I always RSVP whether we will attend or not. I feel it's rude to receive an invitation to something and just ignore it if you aren't going to make it...and it's especially rude to receive an invitation to something and ignore it if you are going to make it. DD got an invite to a birthday party for early next month and I sent the e-mail last night saying she wouldn't be able to make it.

BradenIsMySon...we did the same thing with our wedding RSVP cards and still yet so many did not come back. Idiots! LOL
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:26 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I always respond.

It bugs me when people don't reply. "I'm too busy...waaaaah waaaah waaaah" We are all busy. When you are planning an event and need to know how much food or favors to provide, you ask for a reply for reason. It IS RUDE when people don't respond. It also bugs me when I invite a couple and they not only don't respond to the RSVP, but show up with friends. It's the last time they get an invite from me.
    Anonymous

• I always respond. I agree you need the response to know approx how many people will be there.
    vjoaquin

Answer by vjoaquin at 6:04 PM on May. 17, 2011