Are gifted children considered special education by the US Dept of ED?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 AM on May. 17, 2011 in

• Let me expand a bit. One of my children did have to go through the SpEd for reading he had a reading glitch. My youngest is in the SpEd because he is advanced. Daughter is a SpEd teacher. She is trying to decide if she should go for her Masters in advanced SpEd or severe disabilities SpEd. Advanced children think differently then the rest of us, so they do need special classes. In order for the schools to get funding for the advanced children they have to classified under the SpEd.
    daps

Answer by daps at 8:21 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Yes they are. While they don't get an IEP, they do need advanced special classes, with teachers that can keep up with them.
    daps

Answer by daps at 7:50 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I understand that not everyone agrees with this answer, but this has been my experience, after having children attend schools in 5 different school districts in 5 different geographic regions, with a total of 10 schools (they are now in 11th and 12th grade). Some of the gifted programs they have been involved in at the various places include GATE, the IBL program, the HiCap program, and AP courses.

There might be some school districts that have classified them as special education, and I agree that they do learn in different ways, but these programs were not considered special ed as far as funding went, and in fact, in several of those places, we (the parents of kids in the programs) had to write letters to the school boards, etc to complain about proposed budget cuts to these programs - cuts that were suggested because they weren't required by law.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:34 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I believe they are.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:46 AM on May. 17, 2011

• My dd is in the gifted program. At 8 she is reading at a high school level and understanding what she is reading. She draws crazy parallels between what she reads and real life. But she is not considered special education.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 8:11 AM on May. 17, 2011

• In terms of funding, for the most parts states are in charge of their own gifted and talented program. They get no federal funds (for the most part0 and their is no federal requirement to have a gifted program. How gifted programs are funded is up to the state and/or local school district. Many gifted programs are privately funded.

hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 4:32 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Thanks everyone!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:24 PM on May. 17, 2011

• No, they are not considered special education. For one thing, to be labeled Special Education, there are IEP's in place. For another, by law, a school district is required to meet the educational needs of a child with special education needs (an aide, special ed classes, etc). They are NOT required to provide advanced or gifted classes or enrichment programs - though most do in some way and to some extent.

I have had kids in both gifted programs and in special ed (one was in both - he was gifted intellectually, but had a severe speech problem and, for a year, was considered Special Ed and spent many years under an IEP for speech and for ADHD issues), and going from district to district in various parts of the country as we've moved, I've learned a decent amount about this.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:24 AM on May. 17, 2011

• No, they are not. That term refers only to the ones who have learning disabilities, not advanced abilities.
    BryRon

Answer by BryRon at 7:46 AM on May. 17, 2011

• no, gifted children are considered advanced children. special education is for children with learning disabilities.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:48 AM on May. 17, 2011