Mixing Languages OK????

We had a little incident in the kitchen. To make the story short my son commented these words "Alex broke el plato" plato meaning plate in spanish. Is this normal should a discourage me son from doing it...mixing the two languages???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:06 AM on May. 17, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Absolutely not! Speaking as a retired Teaching Assistant, I think it's wonderful for children to be taught a second language or at least some words here and there. My youngest son went half-day to a "regular" kindergarten class and half-day to a bilingual class. It was great! And now with programs like "Dora, the Explorer" my little grandchildren are learning Spanish words. I think it's more important than ever to teach children about different languages and different races. In a world that's constantly being inundated with mixed races, religions, etc., accepting others for what they are and learning about different cultures should be the norm if we ever want to find some peace in this world. I would praise and encourage children to embrace all languages, people, religions, genders, etc. as young as possible. Children are not born with predjudice, they are taught it.
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 9:09 AM on May. 17, 2011

• We do it with several. one moment I will speak english to the kids the next I am speaking german or french. correct the one word and remind your child what the english word is but praise them for using the spanish word as well. Sometimes I fizzle out trying to remember what an item is in one language and have to stop and say "I know it's a ___ in french, what's it in english?" to my kids and they can answer. we make it a game as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:16 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Its not bad at all, keep teaching him both languages, thats normally how kids learn. My son knows some words in english and some in polish. He's going to mix them until he knows the difference. Its normal
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 8:27 AM on May. 17, 2011

• As long as they know the words for whatever it is that they're trying to say in both languages, there's nothing wrong with them mixing the words. Learning different languages as a child is the best way to do it :-)

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:39 AM on May. 17, 2011