What does it say about the feasability of of the health care law when the administration needs to exempt over 1,000 health plans from its own law?

Was asked by Fred Upton, Rep from Michigan.

26% of the 1,372 waivers granted have been given to Unions, that make up only 12% of the workforce.

We know who is getting the waivers, but what about who ISN"T? Favoritism and payoffs abound with this fiasco of a HC bill.

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 8:12 AM on May. 17, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I've seen this a few times on here... what are the waivers about??
    (Maybe it just doesn't affect us here in MA b/c we also have a "you must have health care or get taxed to death" type law, and we just aren't hearing about the waivers on the news so much. Maybe I'm just not paying attention to the right news)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:18 AM on May. 17, 2011

• They are being exempted due to the hardship it will cause. The whole state of Maine was also given an exception.

Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 8:23 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I was wondering the same thing as I was driving yesterday. So many waivers, and many of them for organizations that provide lower wage pay. It makes me wonder if this law is really supposed to do what they said it was supposed to do (provide everyone access to affordable health care), or if it was really supposed to do something they said it wasn't going to do (usher us into single payer). It was touted to be a bill to protect the 'little people' (figurative, not literal) and now they are making it possible to exempt the very people they claimed to have been working hard for. Just more talking out both sides of their mouth.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:26 AM on May. 17, 2011

• (Maybe it just doesn't affect us here in MA b/c we also have a "you must have health care or get taxed to death" type law, and we just aren't hearing about the waivers on the news so much. Maybe I'm just not paying attention to the right news)

***
    Yeah, and RomneyCare is bankrupting the state! It's a microcosm of ObamaCare!! If RomneyCare has FAILED to do half of what it was supposed to do why have millions of dollars not been paid to providers and why are they dumping seniors off the Medicare roles....Harvard Pilgrim, anyone?! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:27 AM on May. 17, 2011

• So many waivers, and many of them for organizations that provide lower wage pay. It makes me wonder if this law is really supposed to do what they said it was supposed to do (provide everyone access to affordable health care),

***
    "Interestingly" enough, the official name for RomneyCare is "An Act Providing Access to Affordable, Quality, Accountable Health Care." Sounds familiar, huh?!

Of course, since Romney plans on running in 2012 for POTUS, he's recently unveiled "RomneyCare 2.0" which is essentially pulling back on all the things that made this act a FAILURE...in other words, he's essentially giving WAIVERS!! Hmmmm.... :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:36 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Access to offordable health care...right at my expense. I have a great job, and busted my ass at my own expense going to school to get a Master's degree to get this job! One of the perks of this job I busted my ass for over six years to get is having a portion of my benefits paid for by the govt., and now because people want a handout I have to claim the benefits paid for by the government as income!! What in the hell, and yes that's how this new healthcare plan is being paid for in case anyone didn't know.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 8:41 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Glad I am not the only one questioning all of it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on May. 17, 2011

Far from it.
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 10:29 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Yeah, and RomneyCare is bankrupting the state! It's a microcosm of ObamaCare!! If RomneyCare has FAILED to do half of what it was supposed to do why have millions of dollars not been paid to providers and why are they dumping seniors off the Medicare roles....Harvard Pilgrim, anyone?! :o)

Unfortunately RomneyCare isn't the ONLY thing bankrupting this state... we also have an IDIOT for a governor and MANY other moronic programs and legislators wrecking the place. As far as I'm concerned we should literally fire the entire bunch and let a pack of dogs run the state... they'd do a better job!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:55 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Unfortunately RomneyCare isn't the ONLY thing bankrupting this state... we also have an IDIOT for a governor and MANY other moronic programs and legislators wrecking the place. As far as I'm concerned we should literally fire the entire bunch and let a pack of dogs run the state... they'd do a better job!!

***
    Yes, you do. But voters overwhelmingly and consistently vote DEMOCRAT, time and time again! I just don't get it.

(I'm a native of Brookline/Boston.)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:03 PM on May. 17, 2011