My son will be entering first grade at public school. How many teachers and what kind of teachers will he be interacting with during the school day? (USA Schools)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on May. 17, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I agree that it totally depends on your area and even your specific school. In 1st grade my kids had 1 teacher and 1 assistant in their classroom of 20 kids, but they went out for PE, spanish, art, computers, music, and library (one special/day, rotating every 6 days). Occasionally they would split up the three 1st grade classes and rotate with the other 2 1st grade teachers for certain lessons as well.

Overall, my experience with my 3 older kids has been amazing! With all the bad things you hear about public schools and teachers I expected to have to do a lot more to supplement my kids education but in all the years my kids have been in school (I have kids in 7th, 5th, and 4th grade) we've had one not so great teacher - and so many parents complained she's no longer teaching, at least around here.

Answer by missanc at 9:06 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I think it probally depends where you live at. I know here the kids interact with alot of different teachers. he has his homeroom teacher, then he has a spanish teacher, art, PE, Music, at that age too he was in a special reading class so he had her. I would call the school and ask them or if you have some friends that have thier kids in the same school i would question them as well.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 9:01 AM on May. 17, 2011

• It varies by district. You can call and talk to the office staff though, They can give you an idea of what a typical day will be like for him.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 9:02 AM on May. 17, 2011