Is it true we are seeing a decline in the Christian faith in America?

Perhaps I shouldn't just limit it to America but that is where I reside so I am curious here. I saw it somewhere when I was researching one day that it has been a steady decline. What could be the reason? I know I have to add myself to the declining number considering my research and what I feel in my heart to be true. Do you think people are realizing other faith systems and also more science has proven and theories? I find it a bit comforting to know that people are reaching out and searching rather than just "staying in the norm"

jujubean1979200

Asked by jujubean1979200 at 8:58 AM on May. 17, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes it is, even here in the south they are seeing a decline.

The institute for southern studies did a study on it & certainly found that there is a decline in Christianity. Let me go look for that article....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:02 AM on May. 17, 2011

• because people are evolving & becoming more open minded...that is why there is a decline in Christianity. Christianity can be very close minded & people are beginning to steer away from that.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on May. 17, 2011

• The more we learn, the less we need various Gods to fill in the gaps.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 9:04 AM on May. 17, 2011

• here it is...found it.

FireFox sucks & won't let me make my clicky link blue...sorry....

http://www.southernstudies.org/2009/03/survey-finds-christianity-on-the-decline----even-in-the-south.html
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:05 AM on May. 17, 2011

• – collapse
    I truly believe there is a decline in Christianity in America. Why? Well, maybe its a whole lot easier to believe in something that is tangible than not. I am a Christian. You see it everywhere. Lack of morals, ethics, values... Christianity is what this country's foundation was built on, and what made it great. Its sad to see the decline of America...
    ILoveAsherAthan

Answer by ILoveAsherAthan at 9:06 AM on May. 17, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• Thanks for looking up that article. I am very interested in reading it. I am always curious about things lol. It makes me consider the predictions about how "all will know God and the scriptures" because it surely doesn't seem that way. I have respect for those that believe in that faith so I hope I don't offend anyone but at the same time it is comforting to know that we are evolving as you say and we are thinking on our own. Some it brings them closer to their faith while others it leads them to something different and that to me shows that the "truth" lies within the person rather than a universal truth.
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 9:07 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I have to disagree with your assumption. Lack of morals has nothing to do with lack of faith. Many people with great faith-or so they claim do horrific things. I have great morals and it comes from the way I was raised and what I believe to be right and wrong that is not based on how I was raised. My children don't have faith in their lives. They learn to depend on themselves and stand on their own two feet. If they choose a path later in life that is their option.
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 9:09 AM on May. 17, 2011

• That was an interesting article for sure. Especially in the bible belt section where it is huge! My sister lives in South Carolina and they have the Blue Law where they can't buy alcohol on Sundays lol. It is so strange to me but that is their way I guess.
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 9:12 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I've heard that before too. I can't remember the exact previous percentage amount, but the U.S. was something like 80-90% Christian in the 1990s, and now it's around 78% and continuing to decline.

Here's a link that shows the 78% and the breakdown.

Pew: U.S. Religious Landscape Survey

I thought this part was interesting too. -----> "More than one-quarter of American adults (28%) have left the faith in which they were raised in favor of another religion - or no religion at all. If change in affiliation from one type of Protestantism to another is included, 44% of adults have either switched religious affiliation, moved from being unaffiliated with any religion to being affiliated with a particular faith, or dropped any connection to a specific religious tradition altogether."
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:41 AM on May. 17, 2011

• " You see it everywhere. Lack of morals, ethics, values... Christianity is what this country's foundation was built on, and what made it great. Its sad to see the decline of America... "

I really dislike it when people attribute lack of morals to people who don't worship the christian god. it is so closeminded and shallow thinking....and arrogant.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:45 AM on May. 17, 2011