Chicken pox vaccine

Did you give or are you giving your child the chicken pox vaccine? Why or why not?

GingerMom33

Asked by GingerMom33 at 9:01 AM on May. 17, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Here's some information that might help you decide:

http://www.chop.edu/service/parents-possessing-accessing-communicating-knowledge-about-vaccines/vaccine-preventable-diseases/chicken-pox.html#disease-vaccine-parties

and a link to the CDC's varicella vaccine page for more information than you could ever want:

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/varicella/default.htm

I have never had chickenpox, my mom is immune and so am I, but my son was not (I had him titered first) so I gave him the vaccine. First dose, he had a reaction at 3 weeks, like my pediatrician said to expect. Unfortunately, he was already sick at the time. So, it sucked. Second dose, he was fine. Good luck with your decision!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 11:18 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Yup. I gave it to my son because we were constantly around children with supressed immune systems, didn't want to chance killing those kids. With my daughter, I just figured one less reason to be home from school for a week was a good thing lol, that and my dad gets Shingles really bad if anyone with in a 100ft radius has chicken pox
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:04 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I did because it was reqiured before he started school, but he still got a few spots that they thought were chiken poxs. and also i have never had them so i thought it would be better because i was scared to death when my oldest got them, i didn't even want to touch him as awful as that sounds but with him i was a single Mom and what if i got really sick and nobody to help me out. but i never did, i think i am immune to them but i don't want to take any chances.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 9:05 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I gave it to my older 3 children (now 9, 11, and 13) - 2 of them got chicken pox last year, and it was NOT a mild case. So no, I'm not going to bother with it for my younger 2.

Answer by missanc at 9:07 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Nope. My son had the actual chicken pox (before there was a vaccine for it) and my daughter is not vaccinated against it ... I'd actually prefer she catch it (pox party, anyone?) and have lifelong immunity. Chicken pox is not a deadly disease so there's no need to vaccinate against it, imo.

Did you know that the reason the vaccine was created had everything to do with loss of production in the business world (keeping moms from taking off work to stay home with kids with chicken pox) and nothing to do with health reasons?
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 9:23 AM on May. 17, 2011

• i am on the fence. at this moment i wont give it to her. but i might change my mind. maybe right before she gets into actual school but right now she is little and no need for it. at what age do they actually get that vaccine?
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:44 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I did not want to give my daughter the vaccine... I wanted to bring her to a pox party so I would never have to worry bout it in the future but her pedi. convinced my mom (who we were living with at the time) and she made me get it done. I see no point in the vaccine. You never know if your child will or wont suffer as an adult because the vaccine didn't work. These are my personal opinions. Something her pedi did tell me was if she didnt have the pox vaccine, public schools wouldn't take her and day cares probably wouldn't either. So a couple things to think about. Hope this helps.

~Syl~
    F43L34

Answer by F43L34 at 3:23 PM on May. 17, 2011