Repeating 1st grade

I had my daughter repeat 1st grade because she is a September 30 birthday and because she was struggling somewhat with reading and math. I didn't think it would be good for her to be the youngest in her class and always working so hard to catch up.
My problem is that now she is unhappy. She doesn't like her new class and she misses her friends. She has also caught up with her reading and math and says that she is bored and everything is easy.
I am glad that she is in the top of her class but I do not like to see an otherwise happy go lucky child be so unhappy that she is being left behind by her friends.

mommyluv7811

Asked by mommyluv7811 at 4:26 PM on Dec. 6, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Even though children this age is resilient, who's to say if daughter won't be reminded as she sees your former friends continuouly one grade before her. Some states have "No Child Left Behind" programs because of this issue. If your daughter finds a new friends and is unaffected, then more power to her. If not, try to transfer her to another school to help with her self-esteem.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 4:47 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• She will be fine, my mother HELD me back in first because of them reasons except I was born in August.
    Anonymous

• I don't know why people think it's a horrible thing to be the youngest in a grade. I have a Sept birthday and I actually ENJOYED being younger than my classmates, even when at 16 they had their permits and I wasn't old enough yet.

I understand holding her back because of difficulty in doing the work, but not because of age.
    Anonymous

• Maybe you can convince her that it's a good thing to be the oldest. She can help others, especially since she understands everything so well now. She can be the leader.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:34 AM on Dec. 7, 2008