Do you check frequently to make sure your newborn is still breathing?

im a first time mom to a beautiful little girl whos two weeks old :)
however from the day she was born i constantly would check to make sure she was ok. i almost lost her twice during labor and delivery. not to mention three times during my pregnancy. the first week i wouldnt sleep because i was worried something bad would happen while i was asleep. however now im better and i do sleep (well when i can lol) but i still contantly check her whenever shes quiet. is this normal?

xunlucxyx0

Asked by xunlucxyx0 at 9:40 AM on May. 17, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son is 18 now, and I still remember VIVIDLY how I checked him ...... amazing isn't it??
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 9:42 AM on May. 17, 2011

• My son is 4months and I still wake up a lot... and every time I do I look over at him to be sure he's fine. It's a natural mommy thing
    -lovingliam-

Answer by -lovingliam- at 9:44 AM on May. 17, 2011

• My Son had no issues but the first thing I purchased for him & highy recommend is the Hisense BabySense Baby Safe Infant Movement Monitor. It comes with two big sensor pads that you put under the mattress. It monitors the babies breathing & sounds an alarm if the baby stops or skips a breath. I was able to sleep at night knowing that he was OK. Once in the middle of the night, the alarm went off & we ran into his room & my DH pick him up & the baby gasped for air & started breathing again. I don't know what happened but I am thankful I have that monitor. I will be using it again for my second baby that is due shortly. I bought it on Amazon.com. GL.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:51 AM on May. 17, 2011

• It is normal especially with your history, every prenatal check up I had with my first DD was perfect - the doctor even commented how usually with each patient there is at least a minor concern (usually gaining weight too fast or not gaining enough) and said it was rare to come across a "perfect" pregnancy but I still kept checking on her after she was born. I did it with my second too because while I was pregnant she had an arrhythmia and even though it disappeared as soon as she was born I was still in the habit of worrying.

anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 9:57 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Oh and I also grew up with the fear of losing an infant - I was 9 weeks preemie and had apnea when I was born, my mom would say how I would not only stop breathing in my sleep but also when I was awake and how she and my dad had to sleep in shifts because I had to be watched 24 hours a day, I know my mom didn't intentionally put that fear in me especially since none of my kids have sleep apnea or were preemie but as soon as my babies were born all those fears came back.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 10:00 AM on May. 17, 2011

• My DD is now 4-years-old and I STILL sneak into her bedroom at night just to check. It always makes me feel better, plus I get to see her pretty little face again before I go to sleep. When she was an infant though, I would just watch her breathe for HOURS!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 10:03 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Totally normal, instinctive motherly behavior. Also the reason sooooooo many parents choose to co-sleep and/or bedshare. Check out dr. Sears website for more info. Bedsharing (not the same as cosleeping) can be practiced safely as long as you are aware of the factors that contribute to bad outcomes.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 10:14 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Yes, completely normal :) I still check on my girls when they are sleeping and they are 3 and soon to be 2. My oldest had infant apnea when she was born and would stop breathing often (she was on a machine that would alert me) so, I always check on my little ones. It was such a scary experience. Now it is just routine to me to check on them.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 10:29 AM on May. 17, 2011

• thank you everyone! :) im glad to know im not alone in this!
    xunlucxyx0

Comment by xunlucxyx0 (original poster) at 10:32 AM on May. 17, 2011

• lol yes, normal.. i did it with my 3 year old (still do check in at night lol) and do it again with my 5 month old..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:37 AM on May. 17, 2011