Do you think there is a connection with your child's allergies and formula feeding?

I have to say that both of my children are in good health even though one was exclusively formula- fed. Now I would like to say that my formula-fed child suffers from food allergies. But my youngest child who was breastfed have no allergies at all. Could it be the formula?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on May. 17, 2011 in Kids' Health

• In my kids it makes some sense, but we do have a history of allergies - none food, though. My oldest was only bf'd for 6 months, the other 2 rarely had a bottle never mind any formula. They all have my penicillin allergy, but only the oldest has my other allergy issue - dog, molds, seasonal. He was also far more picky when it comes to eating different/new foods. That has gotten better with age.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:55 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I breastfed both and my oldest has allergies/asthma and had constant ear infections till tubes were put in at 2 years old. I honestly believe that if children are going to get something, it's going to happen no matter how they were fed as babies.
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 9:58 AM on May. 17, 2011

• DD was breastfed for 21 months and has tons of allergies. DS has none - even though he had formula because he was too small to latch as a newborn.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 12:03 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Naaah. If it's going to happen, it's going to happen. I don't think how babies are fed effects their allergy symptoms later in life. i was exclusively formula fed and I have no allergies at all.
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 12:48 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Asthma and allergies run in my family. My 3 boys were all formula fed, and the only 1 who has an allergy is my oldest-- and he is allergic to a certain medicine. (not food, cats, dust, pollen... like my family members are).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:45 AM on May. 17, 2011

• IDK, neither asthma nor allergies run in my family. One child was bf'd for 5 months, the other never had formula. Neither of them have issues now.

Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 9:49 AM on May. 17, 2011

• It didnt seem to matter in my family. I have done both formula feed and breastfeed my kids. They are all allergic to something. One of them to red dye that is in alot of food. My youngest is allergic to maple leaves.

Answer by gemgem at 9:56 AM on May. 17, 2011

• No. If that was the case then 99% of the general public born in the 50's & 60's would all have food allergies since BF was not common then. And they Don't. My child has no food allergies either. I believe it's hereditary or due to environmental exposure to an irritant.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:59 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I doubt it, just luck of the draw. Nobody in my family has any real food allergies, we were all formula fed. It has more to do with enviorment and how bad we've killed our immune systems over the past several decades with unneeded antibiotics and think that a sterile household is a safe house hold (which its not in most cases)
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:00 AM on May. 17, 2011

• No, I BF both of my kids along with FF because I didn't make enough milk. I suffered through it the same amount of time with both girls and one has allergies and the other doesn't. My daughter with allergies, though, was around my inlaws more as a small baby and they allowed smoking in the house. I think it stems from the second hand smoke she was exposed to.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:01 AM on May. 17, 2011