These poor girls at dds school, does no one care?

My dd is 6 and in Kinder. She plays sports, does cheer and dance and all of that. Awhile ago I had posted about her getting lice, and thinking it probably came from softball camp or softball practice because she had shared her helmet. My theory was proven to be a fact last night.
There are two girls on her team who are sisters. Apparently the mom is not in their lives (I dont know why). Dad has custody but is a trucker. He leaves the girls weeks at a time with his live in gf. Apparently she has not been a live in gf long. In any case at softball camp one of the girls smelled so bad, and had snot running down her nose my fil went to clean her up and said she probably had not bathed in awhile. One of the teachers whose dd is also on the team told me both girls are covered in lice. Both girls are on my team.

Last night my dd got a piece of gum from my purse. She likes to chew during her game. And she got an extra piece and gave it to one of the girls. the girl saw I had more and went into my purse and starting pulling it and grabbed the gum. I went after her and said excuse me is that your gum? She said no but she was giving it to her sister. I said is it your gum to give away? She got mad but I took it away. The same night my fil whose the coach told her to go out and play on the field. She said no, make me. These girls are out of control, dirty, have lice and are rude but no one cares?

What would you do?

Asked by gemgem at 9:44 AM on May. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• If they are covered in lice as you say, and no-one is doing anything about it, I would report it as well. First though, I would encourage their teacher to talk to the dad and/or gf. I work with CPS and you wouldn't believe the number of children who just fall through the cracks because no-one cares enough to say anything.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 9:49 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Contact DCF, let them investigate....
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 9:46 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I would contact CPS and tell them that you are very concerned as the children look like they have not had a bath in quite a long time, they are dirty, have lice, and you fear they could be neglected.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:50 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Call CPS immediately they are not being properly cared for and it has already gotten to an extreme stage of neglect, I hate that their father can not properly care for them and I know personally how hard it can be when placed in a foster home but until their father finds a new line of work they need to be moved to a home with people that can take care of them.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 9:52 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Call child protective service
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 9:49 AM on May. 17, 2011

• its actually a common misconception that poor hygeine results in head lice. lice actually prefer clean hair to dirty hair, but if the hair is unkempt the infestion can grow larger than in clean hair.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I would call CPS. The father may not know what's going on, but the girls should not suffer for it.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:56 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Poor kids, definitely contact CPS. Personally I would have let the gum thing go, with you need to ask next time, not just take. If they aren't being washed and cared for, who's to say they're being fed properly. She might have snatched the gum from being hungry. You have to expect bad attitudes from kids who are clearly neglected; God only knows how many ways these kids are mistreated.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 10:00 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I did call the school to let them know because the lice infestation has been random. It makes sense now since our team is girls ages 5-8 so it is different grades being affected. I dont have their last name, but I think my friend might shes a teacher.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 9:50 AM on May. 17, 2011

• PS I know lice like clean hair, but obviously they like any hair they can live on. If its untreated it is unhealthy and dirty.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 9:51 AM on May. 17, 2011