One of my children was born in January, I've been considering having a summer birthday party for her and friends - anyone else do this?

My first child was born in early October - some years its warm and some its not, my second was born in January and its always cold. Neither I nor anyone in my family has a place big enough to accommodate family and their friends for a birthday party, now that they're both in school they have a lot more friends who they want to invite for their birthdays and with a limited budget we can't really afford to rent a space or the birthday packages that are offered at the local movies, bowling places, restaurants, or play places. I have a decent sized yard and considered having an early b-day party during the summer so the kids can play outside and we can put the cake and everything out on picnic tables. The idea came from my cousin who has a son and daughter both born in December. DH thinks its a good idea, then on their actual birthdays we'd have a small party with just family.

For anyone who has also done this, or anyone with ideas, what should I put on the invitations to announce this very early birthday party?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on May. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• If you child is okay with it I think it's fine, but I do think you should still honor their real birthday as well. We have some friends who have three kids and they have one big summer party for all of them together - none of the kids have summer birthdays. The kids were teens before they knew when their real birthdays were because they didn't celebrate or even get their day acknowledged. It's sad, really.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:51 AM on May. 17, 2011

• My dd's birthday is Jan. We celebrate it as close to her birthday as possible. We haven't always had a lot of people. One idea is your local volunteer fire dept. We did it one year. We made a small donation to them. They let us use their facilities. They even showed the kids around, let them climb on the truck, and all kinds of other stuff. The kids had a blast.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 9:52 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I think it's a great idea. My friend's daughter was born on December 24th, so they have a birthday party/end of school party for her and her friends. It's great for them, and it helps with finances for everyone since budget can get tight around Christmas.
    siera_lyn

Answer by siera_lyn at 9:52 AM on May. 17, 2011

• My son was born 2 days before christmas.. every year it never fails all his friends are out of town for his birthday... so we started having his party at school during their holiday party but he's older now and I've been considering this same thing...
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 9:53 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Yes - my SIL's bday is in December and she always felt like it got thrown in with Christmas so when she got to be a teen she started celebrating her 1/2 bday instead.

Answer by missanc at 9:59 AM on May. 17, 2011

• My brother's birthday is in the end of December but growing up his party was always in June, off my 6 months so it didn't get lost in the Xmas shuffle. So to me, moving the birthday is perfectly normal.
    CDMelty

Answer by CDMelty at 10:02 AM on May. 17, 2011

• No ive never done it but that sounds like a great idea
    Genice6

Answer by Genice6 at 10:08 AM on May. 17, 2011

• it could work.....my family has one big blow out blast for 7 of the 9 grandkids in the summer because their bdays fall with in weeks of each others (june/july/august).....then each family has a small cake ,family deal on the kid's real bday....as long as you child is fine with it and you dont expect much from you guest its a great idea......gets some water toys and have a summer blast
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:16 AM on May. 17, 2011

• @scout_mom yes we'd still celebrate their actual birthdays with a small party or get the family together and go out to eat, I agree its sad your friend's kids didn't know their real birthdays.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:22 AM on May. 17, 2011

• thats not a bad idea....my ds was born in Jan also. But we live in Texas so you never know from one year to the next how it will be lol we had snow, actual snow, but the next week it was like high 70's already lol
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 10:24 AM on May. 17, 2011