Why should pastors get paid?

Before my pastor stepped down (old age) we talked and i was told how they never got paid they started their own family business because they didn't want to get paid for doing Gods calling upon their life. So that makes me think why get paid to preach? Why not do Gods calling without getting something back for it? I believe it was paul who worked on the side for his ministry.

whitenena

Asked by whitenena at 10:00 AM on May. 17, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• some get paid some dont'.. I know my DD's great grandfather doesn't get paid, he volunteers.. however if you have a large assembly, and are there day and night and make it your job to be available for everyone at any time, then yes I do believe they should get paid... look at it like a fireman.. in bigger cities or areas where they are NEEDED to be away from their families to help others and be available the minute they are called, should be paid.. someone in the country who has more freedom, less calls and needs.. can still have time to work and volunteer.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:55 AM on May. 17, 2011

• How dare they want to feed, shelter, and clothe their family. tsk tsk
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Because our pastor spends all week ministering - visiting sick members in the hospital, counseling members, preparing his sermons for Sunday, etc. There are some preachers of small churches who can't afford to pay their ministers and they work full time jobs in addition but for a church of any size most pastors spend at least 40 hrs doing their job, not just the couple hours on Sunday. They are "on call" all the time!

Answer by missanc at 10:04 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Wow! The Baptist church I grew up in was a full time job for the pastor and his wife. They did so much for the congregation and the town..on a call 24/7...I am sure his salary compared to his hours was not even minimum wage...and his wife worked for free.

I am now a Catholic and we have a good sized parish...with Mass at least 10 times a week..not to mention all the visitations, bible studies, funerals, weddings, prep classes AND the time our priest spends working at the food bank and homeless shelter..there is no way he is properly financially compensated.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:14 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Well that's all fine and dandy, but considering pastors DO have to live and eat, and they usually have families that have to eat and have a roof over their heads...then it's a pretty easy answer
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:04 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Because being a pastor is a full time job and it's just about preaching. A good pastor is there for his (or her) congregation when they need him - he visits those who are in the hospital, home bound, in nursing homes, etc. He also provides counseling, works within the community, and lends a hand to those in need. My dad works full time and is a pastor because the church he pastors at can't afford to pay him, but he puts in as many hours at the church, or for the church, each week that he does at work.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:07 AM on May. 17, 2011

• These days people go to college to become preachers. They go to seminary college and it does cost money. Some churches (not all) prefer a preacher with a degree from one of those colleges/. So they pay them for coming and moving to an area where they otherwise not have come to.

Answer by gemgem at 10:04 AM on May. 17, 2011

• My point is you can't serve two masters. Either you have a calling to minister to a Church or Parish, or you're called to be married. Both take up way too much time for anyone to be split this way. As a single you don't need a lot. A roof and some clothes. The parish women in most cases cook for the single priest. He does get a stipend for clothes and other necessities. He needs a car most times it's donated by someone in the parish who has dealership. ( think write off on taxes) Dental work medical? I've known of more then one who has had Parishioners donate this also. Yes when they perform a baptism, marriage or funeral, it's customary to give the Priest a little something, but not required if you can't. Being a shepard to a flock is 24/7 job, really no time for anything else some days not even yourself.
    daps

Answer by daps at 10:55 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Because it's their job and they also need a roof over their heads, food to eat, clothes to wear and have bills to pay. In our synagogue we pay our Rabbi because he's offering a service to us, it's a job that he's doing and there's nothing wrong with ANYONE charging for his time, effort and services. As for working "on the side".... why should they? If they prepared themselves to become religious leaders, why should they try to find other jobs when they could be earning a livelihood doing what they love to do? Wouldn't you prefer a religious leader that can focus on the needs of the community rather than of worrying about getting a second job to pay for his livelihood and therefore more likely to neglect the job that's not giving him any remuneration?

Sharon

momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 7:18 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I agree, our pasters get paid a minimal amount to cover food and other small expenses. When he makes extra money, he gives it all back to the church. Most of them take the vow of poverty.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 10:06 AM on May. 17, 2011