Soap In The Mouth

My step-daughter lies ALL the time. We've tried grounding, time-outs, taking stuff away, and now we've resorted to washing her mouth out with soap (non-toxic baby soap). I feel guilty for doing it but want to break her from lying. Nothing seems to phase her....

Kari727

Asked by Kari727 at 10:10 AM on May. 17, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It might be time for a parenting class. Not that you are doing anything wrong, but sometimes we need help figuring out how to deal with a specific behavior. My husband and I took a Love and Logic class when our oldest was 4 and it really helped us. Maybe it could help you too.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:41 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Have you tried talking to her and find out why she feels she has to lie about everything? I would tell her that if she keeps lying, you and dad will start to think everything she says is a lie, and you won't be able to tell or believe her if she ever does tell the truth--- cause you are so used to lies. Also tell her the story of the boy who cried wolf-- and how nobody believed him because of all his lies.
    You might also consider finding a therapist for her and having her go to counseling. The therapist might be able to find out why she feels the need to lie, and would work with her and the family on this issue. Good luck!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:16 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Nothing seems to FAZE her.
    It won'twork. She needs to be asked WHY she is lying. Most kids lie to stay out of trouble and maybe when she has been in trouble in the past,she has been punished severely.The easiest way to train your kid to lie is to punish severely.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:21 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I really don't see a problem with it, you are using a non-toxic soap and maybe that will teach her to watch what comes out of her mouth. Good luck (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:16 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Faze:http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/faze

Phase:http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/phase
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:23 AM on May. 17, 2011

• MizLee-We do ask her and she only responds with "I don't know" or "I forgot". She is in counseling for a number of reasons, but her therapist has told me that her lying is not acceptable and we should continue to try and break her of the habit.
    Kari727

Comment by Kari727 (original poster) at 10:25 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Thanks for the grammar lesson, minnesotanice.
    Kari727

Comment by Kari727 (original poster) at 10:26 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Did the therapist tell you how to break her of the habit?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:32 AM on May. 17, 2011

• That is child abuse. Look it up. She could be taken from you if she goes to school and tells them what you are doing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Sleeping-no, just keep trying different punishments until one works.
    Kari727

Comment by Kari727 (original poster) at 10:37 AM on May. 17, 2011