God dammit!

Why do some Christians get upset when I say 'oh god' or 'god dammit' even after I explain that I'm not Christian and not refering to thier god?

Ms.Gwen

Asked by Ms.Gwen at 10:10 AM on May. 17, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Respect also goes both ways. You (Christians) need to respect that you do not have a monopoly on language, and you take insult where none is intended. If you insist that you have a monopoly on words and it is deeply offensive to you when people use certain ones, because you have "claimed them", you need to understand that such thinking makes zero sense to many people, and many people don't respect illogical thinking.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 10:31 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Do you really have to ask?

I'm an athiest and though I say it occasionally- I really try not to- I say other things instead most of the time. It's a respect thing-even though I don't believe in any God...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:17 AM on May. 17, 2011

• If you don't even believe in God why not use someone else's name in vain? It really is very disrepectful to those of us who honor Him.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:14 AM on May. 17, 2011

• It's disrespectful to us.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 10:11 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Because it is disrespectful to people who do believe. The same reason prayer offends you.

Answer by gemgem at 10:20 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Taking His name in vain.
    Simplicity3

• its about respecting others beliefs and your own self-respect. spewing foul language makes you look ignorant and then when you claim you're referring to some other God it doesn't help your case.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:25 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Well, Christians only believe in one God so from a Christian stand point you are talking about the God they believe.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:12 AM on May. 17, 2011

• agree with simplicity3
    .......................................

Just say dammit!

But you are free "so fa"r to say whatever you want.

gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:14 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I bet it's not the secularists voting people down... convenient religious tactics. Hide anything that doesn't agree with you.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 10:40 AM on May. 17, 2011