Has anyone ever had an intrauterine insemination (IUI) procedure done? Did it result in a normal pregnancy and normal child? I have reservations because it didn't happen naturally. I have no kids, I'm 39 and time is crucial. Please provide me with some feedback, thanks.

I have great beliefs in God.
I want it to occur naturally, but time is of the essence.
Don't know anyone who has had IUI to know if it's the right choice or not.
Is it effective?
Wonder if I'll have regrets if something is wrong with the baby because I didn't conceive naurally.
Please help me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:48 PM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• What about adoption? I agree that if god wanted you to be pregnant he would let you. Sorry
    Anonymous

• I'm confused why people want to put their bodies through infertility treatments..there are so many waiting children needing to be adopted in foster care....is it parenting you are craving? Or the pregnancy?

At that age, I'd probably adopt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I just wanted to add, I wasn't meaning to be rude or anything!!
    Anonymous

• Well I think you should at least try and do the insemination and if it doesnt happen then it wasnt meant to be. God gives us these amazing things to create stuff. So he is the one that gave us the technology and ideas. I dont see anything wrong with it. But I have a few friends online that have done it and have very beautiful and healthy babies. I actually havent heard of many cases of babies being healthy. I would at least try that a few times. If it doesnt work it wasnt meant to be and then you can discuss adoption.
    Marah2008

Answer by Marah2008 at 9:23 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I had it done. My babies are perfect. I have no regrets. I did a great deal of research before beginning treatment, and my husband and I fully discussed all the possibilities. Unlike IVF, I found no studies that showed any increased risk of birth defects because of IUI. There are aspects of IVF that we could not reconcile with our personal beliefs, and we immediately ruled it out. We determined that the use of IUI and fertility drugs did not violate our beliefs.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:05 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• CONTINUED - If you do not have ovulation problems, you may not even need fertility drugs. For me, I see little difference in taking medications to ovulate and medications to regulate my thyroid - both are systems in my body that are not opperating correctly. As for IUI, it just makes sure your husband's sperm gets the best possible chance of finding your egg(s). The conception is actually very natural, as it happens inside your own body. When I was pregnant, my high risk doctor was relieved that we had used IUI and not IFV. He told me IUI is so much more natural that you don't have to worry about a lot of things that can be complications of IVF

My advice is research the procedure, talk to your doctor, and discuss it with your husband. Good luck with whatever you decide!

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:06 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I have ovulation problems and I am following that path as well.. If you try before me pls let me know and I will do the same...I about to see a new doctor next week and schedule the shots and the UI...God Bless us!!
    Fernandinha

Answer by Fernandinha at 9:58 PM on Jan. 23, 2009