I have a 13 month girl. she hates her crib. Can't climb out but she gets so upset when i put her in it she screams and tries to climb out. She leans over the side but ends up choking herself, because she's too short to climb out, till she throws up so I've been keeping her in my bed but she's a restless sleeper i never get any sleep. Her crib converts. Should I move her to a toddler bed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:47 AM on Jul. 11, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes it's time if she is hurting herself. It won't be easy keeping her in it, but stay consistant maybe start a routine I used to give my son a book to look at ,I would lay in my bed and read and he would mock me (course his bed was in my room) but after awhile he knew it was bedtime and would go to sleep. Getting him to do that now yea right he's 13 and a night owl good luck
    bunco

Answer by bunco at 3:01 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Dont give up on getting her in her crib! Try maybe putting her in there during the day for a few minutes at a time just to play not to sleep, that way she doesnt see it as such a terrorfying thing to be in. Bring things into the crib to play with that are some of her favorite things and stay near her and keep reassuring her that its ok, then just increase the time. When you want to put her to bed, grab her favorite stuff, make it a fun journey to get in the crib, put her in there and sing to her or read to her, if she still insists on getting out and is hurting yourself go ahead and get her out, and calm her down and keep singing and telling her its ok, then when she starts getting really sleepy place her in her crib and gently sing or talk to her and she hopefully will fall asleep, and in the morning make a huge deal about how she did so well in sleeping in her crib! Best of luck hope this helped! And get you some sleep!
    amber91580

Answer by amber91580 at 3:02 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I would get her in a toddler bed, that's low to the ground and has low sides on it. She could be feeling claustraphobic in her crib and might be having panic attacks because she feels trapped. But first I would consult a doctor.
    jen_park

Answer by jen_park at 4:05 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• She is hurting herself, its time to change!
    Put her in a Toddler bed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• yea i think u should move her to a toddler bed since it's jus like her bed
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I had your exact same problem..so we went ahead and converted to the toddler bed around 13months. My son slept in it a couple of nights now he just climbs out of it and screams at the baby-gate that we have at the door. Wish I had never started putting him in bed with me.
    donslilnurse

Answer by donslilnurse at 11:31 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Get a crib tent. That will keep her from hurting herself by trying to climb out. She has the common sense, knowledge, and control of a 13 month old... she belongs in a crib. It's the safest place for her.

If you move her to a bed instead, BABYPROOF her room. She will climb on the furniture so make sure it is hooked to the wall. She will play with everything so remove all breakables or anything you don't mind being damaged. Put a baby gate or a lock on the door so she can't get out of her room. Remember - you will be sound asleep when she is happily exploring the kitchen at 2am.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:01 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I would move her to a toddler bed... When it is dangerous for her to be in the crib, then definitely move her. You may want to invest in some child safety locks for the cabinets and drawers, and some for the door knobs too. If she can climb out of her bed she may go exploring in the middle of the night. Maybe you need to get out the baby monitor and keep it turned on in her room so you can hear her get up...
    taracv

Answer by taracv at 12:32 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• yes - if she sleeps fine in your bed then she will probably love her bed being a big girl bed. I bought my dd (who is short also) a stepstool to get into her toddler bed and to keep it from sliding away we used an angle bracket to attach it to the bed. we also bought her sheets (we let her pick them out) and she slept in her room just fine. we put up a baby gate in her doorway so if she did get out of bed she could open the door and call for us but couldnt get into the kitchen or fall down the stairs in the middle of the night. if we ever had trouble getting her to bed we would just say "ok well then i am going to sleep in your spongebob bed" and she would say "nooo" and go runng into her bedroom and hop right up into bed.
    good luck
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 1:31 PM on Jul. 11, 2008