How do I get my five year old to quit pooping in her pants?

My five year old still poops in her pants! She was all potty trained and good to go, but then one day about a year ago - bam!- she just started doing it. It's an on and off kind of thing. She'll do it for a week or two, and then stop for a few months. I'm getting soooo tired of having to deal with it. I know that it's not an involuntary thing. Conveniantly, it never happens when she's at school or at the daycare. Only at home. I keep asking her why she's doing it, but she keeps saying that she doesn't know. I've tried punishing her, I've tried reasoning with her, I've tried ignoring it. I have absolutely no idea what to do about it or how to make it stop. Please help!!!

Laurabear

Asked by Laurabear at 4:49 PM on Dec. 6, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• She is old enough to understand a little bit of science. Maybe it is time to tell her what poop actually does to the skin and what poop is made up of. Maybe show her some pics of diaper rash to explain to her that poop eats away at the skin and that is why it is not acceptable to go in her pants.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 5:07 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• maybe her peditrican can check her out and if shes ok then maybe its a certain food she eats
    nytangl57

Answer by nytangl57 at 5:19 PM on Dec. 6, 2008