My 2 year old (just turned 2) will cry until he throws up when i leave him like in the nursery at church or anywhere really. What can I do to stop this?

He has been doing this since he was a baby.

jellybeansmama

Asked by jellybeansmama at 10:41 AM on May. 17, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Leave him for only short periods, no longer than an hour. Eventually he'll learn that mom always comes back & you can start leaving him for longer periods.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:43 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Have you tried staying with him a few Sundays to let him get used to the room? If there's new people every week then that will probably be harder, but if they're the same then you staying would also let him get used to the teachers.

Answer by missanc at 10:43 AM on May. 17, 2011

• some babies need their mamas a little more than others. You can't stop this, but you can make him feel you are not going to leave him and just make sure he knows you are not to far from him. Start this at home leave the room and keep talking to him and peck around and tell him I'm still here, make it to a game.
    The more you push away the worse it will get.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:48 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Boy I wish I knew! Mine (he'll be 2 in July) is exactly the same way. He's fine here at home. Like right now--he's in the living room watching Mickey Mouse while I'm in the next room on the computer. But church is a different story. He has a great time in the nursery as long as I'm in there with him. But if I leave, it's Katie bar the door! lol. On Sunday mornings, I leave him home with hubby so I don't have that problem. But I quit going to church on Wednesday nights because I was having to stay in the nursery and didn't get to attend the service, so there was no point in me going.
    I'll be watching this question as well to see if anybody has a solution. lol. Good luck mama!
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:14 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Yea mine is fine at home but if i go to church i have to go to the nursery with him. The only person i can leave him with is my mom. At first when i leave he crys but not that bad. Also i live with my mom so that might help too. If i try to leave him with anyone else he will cry until he throws up. I wish i had an answer. lol Good luck to you too!
    jellybeansmama

Comment by jellybeansmama (original poster) at 11:25 AM on May. 17, 2011

• You have an emotional puker too ha? Went through 4 coats one winter with stains that would not come off. 1) don't give into it--you get concerned as a Mom when your child vomits but unfortunately this is another temper tantrum 2) does your child have any other symptoms like not wanting to lie down alone-being fussy at nap times, finicky eating that might mean some what is aiding the vomit is acid reflux? 3) Discuss this fear of you leaving when you are come and there. Read some books about seperation anxiety, even a young child can get some hints from The Kissing hand or Llama Llama misses Mama. 4) find some good deals on dry cleaning because this phase doesn't end overnight. 5) Make sure you brush teeth after the event very thoroughly, I have a dental bill to show you why. Hang in there.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 4:02 PM on May. 17, 2011

• PS it starts with seperation anxiety but if you start feeling bad and giving too much attention he will use it as a control game to avoid eating foods he doesn't like, to not clean up toys or anything a typical 2 gets worked up about. Quietly clean up and tell him he needs to start using his words or teach him some sort of sign to show frustration and don't get angry, overly worried, just clean him up like you would your car.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 4:06 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Both of my kids were like that too. With my daughter is was much much worse. I couldn't even go to the bathroom by myself without her screaming and kicking the door. I wouldn't leave them too long and come back every 45 mins - an hour to let them now I wasn't going anywhere and leaving them for good. If they kept it up though I would leave them longer until they understood its okay. Now they kick me out whenever I'm ready to leave them.
    SMITxsM2

Answer by SMITxsM2 at 2:09 PM on May. 18, 2011