2 year old escaping carseat.

As I was driving down the rode yesterday my 2 years old DS had wiggled out of the shoulder straps of his carseat. Mind you he was strapped in tight. Has this happen to anyone and how can i prevent it?

victoriak12708

Asked by victoriak12708 at 10:47 AM on May. 17, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Time to use discipline and make him understand that that is NOT safe and that he is to stay put in the carseat or he goes no where.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:48 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I do tell him it is wrong but if i can prevent it from happening then i would like to do that.
    victoriak12708

Comment by victoriak12708 (original poster) at 10:50 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Pull over to the side of the road. Re-strap him in and make sure he understands how dangerous it can be.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 10:56 AM on May. 17, 2011

• you may need to adjust the height on his straps, or buy a bigger car seat depending on what you have.. my nephew did the same thing when he started out growing his seat... mama got a new one.. adjust the straps up higher though.. if they are right on the shoulders they tend to slip no matter how tight they are...
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 10:56 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Not tight enough....
    SonyaNaomi

Answer by SonyaNaomi at 10:58 AM on May. 17, 2011

• My oldest used to do that no matter how tight I pulled the straps - he was a monkey! I used to pull over, get out and put them back again. I started offering him a reward when we got wherever we were going if he left them on the whole time (usually stickers). It didn't last long.

Answer by missanc at 10:58 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Don't prevent him from doing it. Teach him not to do it.

When he does it, pull over. Sternly tell him NO!! WE DON"T DO THAT!! And put him back in. Do it every time.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:03 AM on May. 17, 2011

• If he's FFing, straps above his shoulders. If he's rearfacing, straps below his shoulders. TIGHT. Snug as a hug, not able to pinch any fabric on the straps. The chest clip at armpit level. The chest clip might be the problem; if it's too low, he will be able to get his upper body out, and can also cause injury to his internal organs in a crash. If he opens his chest clip on his own, you can put the rough side of velcro on the button to discourage him from touching it.
    RozyMama

Answer by RozyMama at 11:04 AM on May. 17, 2011

• That is how he is escaping is moving the chest clip down
    victoriak12708

Comment by victoriak12708 (original poster) at 11:13 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Mine did that twice - moved the chest clip down and found that his arms could slip out. I am sure it was completely by accident that he did it the first time, and of course at 2 years old they don't know any better. You can hardly "make him understand how dangerous it is" when he is TWO. What worked for me was just figuring that he thought it was fun to slide the chest clip up and down, so I got my son some lacing beads to play with in the car. He can slide those up and down and on and off the rope as often as he likes. He hasn't played with his chest clip since.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:55 AM on May. 17, 2011