Do you think kids are more intuitive to animal personalities than we are?

My youngest does NOT like dogs. She will either try to hike up my leg, or will yell "go away doggy...go away" at them.

Well...one of my friends recently moved in with her boyfriend who has a GIANT 125lbs great dane, and I thought my daughter was going to panic over her, but the dog is old, and really calm and gentle. My daughter didn't react to the dog at all, and was down hugging on her, trying to lay down on her, ride her, etc. It was like she knew that the dog wouldn't hurt her.

Oh, and we have animals, but not dogs, and most of the people we do know that have dogs have ones that are younger and a bit more hyper, so that could be the difference.

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:03 AM on May. 17, 2011 in Pets

• I'm not sure if she's more intuitive to their personalities. She may just be afraid of getting jumped on or nipped at which younger dogs may do when excited if not properly trained. She may just find them too hyper for her as well.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 12:37 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I agree with MamaStuart. In my experience, most kids almost always trust dogs--even when they shouldn't.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:39 AM on May. 18, 2011

• In my experience, kids are more intuitive to ALL personalities. Your daughter definitely has a connection to the animal kingdom and cal sense their intentions and their energy level. BTW, be aware that she does the same thing with adults that are "off" in some way...so don't discount when she starts to let you know if she says somebody makes her feel weird. Try going to a petting zoo or pet store and see how she responds. What an adventure! ~MJ
    IntuitiveMJ

Answer by IntuitiveMJ at 5:48 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Sometimes hyper dogs will make the children nervous. I have a seven year old collie and an almost three year old little girl and they are totally in sync. They always seem to understand each other.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 9:21 PM on May. 23, 2011