3rd graders telling each other Lady Gaga used to be a man.

Just wondering what would be your response to your child if they told you this is the hot topic on the playground.

I asked what they were saying and it basically came down to that she had surgeries to make her a woman but she was born a man.

When asked how she felt about it she said she just left the conversations.  I asked if she felt it was right what they were saying. She said she thought it was mean.

I did tell her for the kids that say that ask them why it would matter if that was what happened. Does it change anything? 

So what would your response be to your child?

Charis76

Asked by Charis76 at 11:09 AM on May. 17, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I would just laugh, and say whatever she is she's pretty talented because she's very successful, and not elaborate on the gender issue.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:13 AM on May. 17, 2011

• My son and I did have this convo...LOL We determined from watching a few videos that A. We don't believe it to be true. B. We don't really care either way because it doesn't effect us. and C. That people really need to mind their own beeswax. HAHA
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:13 AM on May. 17, 2011

• This sounds a lot like what I used to hear on the playground when I was in school. It seemed like the more ridiculous or outlandish the more hot the gossip and innuendo. At least for that week then the next week it was something else. I teach my kids not to pay attention to things like this and that everyone is equal regardless of gender, race, whatever. In short, I wouldn't make a big deal about it.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:14 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Honestly, I would've flipped, and been in contact with the school. For them to carry on a conversation about sex change at school is unacceptable!
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 11:15 AM on May. 17, 2011

• First of all... kids discuss a myriad of things at school out of teachers ears. Secondly, you cannot sit around and man every conversation. This is where parents need to teach their kids how to deal in the world. Stop trying to make the world childproof.

Really, you cannot make 3rd graders all talk about rainbows and butterflies all day.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:18 AM on May. 17, 2011

• my response would be.."yeah, she does look like a man"
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:20 AM on May. 17, 2011

• That's funny! But she was born that way baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Did I get voted down because I let my 15 year old watch the videos? LOL wow..
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:23 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Trust me from talking with kids I know they discuss all types of things if I complained everytime they glossed on the sex subject I would have to move into the school!

Leaving the gender thing alone is not an option to me that is what they are talking about they are not discussing if she is a good artist or not. If my daughter brings a subject to me I am not going to not answer her questions about it.
    Charis76

Comment by Charis76 (original poster) at 11:24 AM on May. 17, 2011

• i can see how gender is confusing to kids now a days. boys dress in girls clothing and vice versa. boys have long hair, girls have short... its not as cut and dry as it used to be. i think approaching the topic depends alot on the maturity of your child.
    mykidsmom86

Answer by mykidsmom86 at 11:26 AM on May. 17, 2011