What do you say to someone that just lost their job and posting it on fb?

SHe is really upset. She worked at a school and there was a layoff of 82 people. She only has a ged so when she passed the test for teacher's aide she was so happy for 7 year. What should I say?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on May. 17, 2011 in Money & Work

• just be supportive and listen. it's hard to know what to say...sometimes just being there is enough. nothing you say is really going to change it. when it happened to me...i just needed people to listen to me
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 11:12 AM on May. 17, 2011

• You say "I'm sorry, that sucks"
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 11:13 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I woud saythat I am sorry she lost her job. Its a sad thing the way they don't spend money on education and fire teachers,etc.
    BUT,I would also say that she shouldn't be spilling her guts on Facebook. People tell the world too many very personal things. They just don't get it. If it was me,I would only tell family members and not put it on Facebook.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:13 AM on May. 17, 2011

• AND----I think people tell too many really personal things here at Cafe Mom.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:14 AM on May. 17, 2011

• But on cafe mom you go anon. On fb you have to constantly change who you want to see your posts and sometimes there are glitches on fb and the wrong person will see what you post and tell your family and friends. Here it is a little more private..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:16 AM on May. 17, 2011

• When a door closes another always opens. :)
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:18 AM on May. 17, 2011

• The beautiful thing about fb is that you don't have to say anything big. Say what you feel is right, or say "I'm sorry, if you need to talk I'm here" or something like that.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 11:46 AM on May. 17, 2011

• You say I'm so sorry, and I hope you find a new position very soon (and hopefully somebody will see it and ask for her resume) It isn't spilling your guts that you lost a job. IT IS NETWORKING! Spilling your guts is talking about your hemorrhoids. Letting it be known that you are available for new employment is a good thing as long as she isn't saying something overly negative.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 12:22 PM on May. 17, 2011