Ok...I wanted to take my kids somewhere for Memorial Day...but have no $. And now...I have a question.

I am a single mom and am doing everything I can to raise my kiddos. I wanted to take them camping, but gas is approaching $4 here and I have almost zero extra money. I have decided that we will go "camping"...except it will be in my parents BIG backyard and not at the lake (which is over an hour away). Can you PLEASE help me come up with some other ideas of things we can do that weekend, that revolve around nature? Thank you sooo much!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on May. 17, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• How about a bird book from the library and look for different books and catalog them? You can do the same with flowers and bugs. You can make smores at night. You can tell scary stories. You can find a park with a nature hiking trail. Do you have a state park nearby? You can go there it is usually almost free or a few bucks a carload.

Answer by gemgem at 11:23 AM on May. 17, 2011

• the zoo, if you have one, is usually cheap... or check out a book on bugs at the library, take them to a park or wooded area and go on a bug hunt... can buy cheap plastic bug hunting stuff at dollar stores every where...
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 11:27 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Make nature pals http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/personalized-nature-pals-672777/
    Or a nature mobile http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/nature-mobile-785021/

Go on a themed "hike" and see if they can find something in every color of the rainbow, or something in different shapes (find a circle, a square, etc) or something that starts with each letter of the alphabet.

Have a nature scavenger hunt - find a smooth rock, a jagged leaf, a flying creature, etc.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:30 AM on May. 17, 2011

• my kids love hanging around a campfire. you could sit there and talk and tell stories for hours free of charge! we also go on nature hikes and bike rides. you could make a scavenger hunt list. its fun to watch the kids look for stuff. have a good time!
    mykidsmom86

Answer by mykidsmom86 at 11:30 AM on May. 17, 2011

• hike and get flowers
    critter_boo

Answer by critter_boo at 11:55 AM on May. 17, 2011

• slip and slide or water gun or water fight, going on a bear hunt you can get the song and directions on line
    critter_boo

• If the sky is clear, why not have a stargazing session. There are books you can get from the library that will talk about the constellations visible in the sky at this time of year and may even have glow in the dark skymaps you and your kids can use to identify the groupings. Also, don't forget to bring something like a bbq pit in which you can light a fire and roast wienies and marshmellows. Then tell ghost stories!
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 6:12 PM on May. 17, 2011

• plant a treehiking, fishing, hunting, nature walks, bird watching, roasting marshmellows, and spotting and learning about local wildlife! we always do a big camping trip ( not last year tho :( , and we love to do all of these, it also gets some learning snuck in there...lol

JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 6:15 PM on May. 18, 2011