When did we go from a "teach the child not to do that" society...

to a "find some device to prevent the child from being able to do that indefinitely" society?

Teach your kid not to climb something, not to get out of the car seat...etc.

While I DO understand safety and precaution...some parents are pushing the limits with it. Do you think so?

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 11:27 AM on May. 17, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I agree, I think this is why we have so many kids who refuse to listen to adults - they have been catered to their entire lives and not taught what "no" means.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:31 AM on May. 17, 2011

• when kids started stabbing and shooting people.... getting pregnant at 10... and parenting kids the right way became optional for some people who should've been screened for mental problems before they had kids...
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 11:31 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I agree. We can't prevent everything, and we have to teach our kids morals and SOME limits. Their job is to test those limits, and we have to be ready to actually PARENT and help them learn the limits and boundaries in life. We have to give them SOME freedom to explore their world and learn, but we can't be so hell-bent on being a friend and forgetting our role as a parent.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:34 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I agree, I think a child should learn NOT to stick his finger in a light socket or to run through a parking lot. Rather than bubble wrapping the entire world and worrying about "feelings" we should teach our children that the world is dangerous and safety is important!
    VanessaMomof2

Answer by VanessaMomof2 at 11:38 AM on May. 17, 2011

• because people are too lax. lets parent. not be their friend. its nice to play with the kids and have fun with them. but they need to know when we say soemthing it needs to be listen to. we are the adults. they are the children. i saw this with my little cousin alot. his mother said yes all the time and he just does whatever he wanted and he still does. he never got away with things with me but still had fun and loved to be with me because i meant business. kids will love you even if you displine them.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 12:52 PM on May. 17, 2011

• agreed :)
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 3:06 PM on May. 17, 2011

• When we learned that if we blame the maker of the car seat, owner of the store, producer of the toy, etc. we can sue for the injury and become rich. Its not that MY child won't listen or behave, the manufacturer just didn't make a good enough product, the store owner didn't make this safe enough, whatever. So many times I see accidents in stores that could have been prevented by decent parenting.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 5:45 PM on May. 17, 2011

• agreed with all previous posters.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 9:15 PM on May. 17, 2011

• am i the only one that sees that you can still keep your child safe by common sense rather than trial and error (where in some cases can be fatal) AND teach them proper ettiquate and the meaning of no without feeling the world is coming to an end if a parent uses a liitle coushin for their falls?
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:02 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Cushion is one thing...but, to safety proof their whole life so much that you NEVER have to say no or steer them clear or say anything because it is SO safe it's crippling is wrong. I know a kid whose parents cleared everything from anywhere he could touch to the point it was walls and floor and some safe toys. She let him have free roam and never told him no. He was a terror when they were outside of that safety net.
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 11:06 PM on May. 17, 2011