Breast pump recommendations

hello moms! im due in a few weeks and would like to purchase an electric breast pump.. all the reviews on babies r us are dizzying.... can anyone recommend a pump .. i would prefer a double electric.. also id take any bad experiences so i know what not to buy.. i know theyre pretty expensive and would only like to have to puchase one lol

zperez0809

Asked by zperez0809 at 11:42 AM on May. 17, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Medela. I'm a lactation consultant, and it's really the only thing we recommend most of the time, especially in the double pump category.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:44 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I opted for the Medela Pump N Style.

I loved it! My reasons for choosing it...Medela specializes in breast feeding so they sink tons of money into research vs. other companies that only want to make money (playtex). It was very portable. Held a battery pack and an electric cord. Had various accessories that you could get to replace anything. AND, I found it 'new in box' on ebay for $75.

I worked full time 11 hours a day 5 days a week and still managed to get enough milk and nurse when home until she self-weaned at 11.5 months. I still pumped for another 6 months and gave it in a sippy.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:45 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Medela all the way....they help you pump more milk...i have one and used it, its awesome ! Congrats on the baby !
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 11:47 AM on May. 17, 2011

• As a breastfeeding peer councilor, I suggest you get the pump based on your need to pump. I had a little guy who was too small to latch. A hospital grade rental was the answer. I had daughter who I needed milk in her cereal. A one-handed manual pump was the answer. That pump worked great to clear clogged ducts as my twins moved from milk to solids and nurse less. The Medela Pump in Style is a great back-to-work pump. There are a few others that are just as good. Ameda and Lanolish both make ones that are less than the PIS, but work just as well.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 11:53 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Working? Medela Pump in Style?

SAHM? Avent Isis.... a double electric for the occasional bottle is like using a sledgehammer on a gnat!

Answer by gdiamante at 1:33 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I currently use a hospital-grade rental (the Medela Symphony that retails for $1600.00) so I can build by stock of milk up for when I return to work.

I just bought a Medela Pump n Style off Craigslist for $60.00 that I plan to use while at work. I just used it today, and even though it doesn't have the same bells and whistles as the Symphony, the output was the same.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 2:42 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I breastfed 3 children and never needed a pump. If you aren't away from your baby much you may not need one. For an emergency bottle you can hand express. Women that are good at hand expressing can hand express as well as the $300 Medela pump. You don't have to have a pump to breastfeed.

That said, I agree if you are a SAHM Avent Isis and if you are a working mom the PIS.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:46 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Why is Gailll commenting on this post, she is an old grandma who is rude
    TWOpeazINaPOD

Answer by TWOpeazINaPOD at 11:29 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Medela pump in style i love it
    NurseKlein

Answer by NurseKlein at 5:40 PM on May. 19, 2011