New nephew

My sil just had a baby boy this morning! I'm happy for them, but not excited like when my sisters have had kids... Is that weird?? I have no doubt that I will love him, but I have no desire to go see them in the hospital ( like I did with my sisters) I feel bad bc I know dh is super excited, and I just can't share that feeling.... Am I a horrible aunt?

BabyBugsmama

Asked by BabyBugsmama at 11:49 AM on May. 17, 2011 in Relationships

• Is because you didn't grow up with her and that sister bond is not there. Don't worry about it.
    booger14

Answer by booger14 at 11:52 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I wouldn't say horrible. Everyone is entitled to feel how they feel. It's normal your own sister's children would be a little more exciting for you to meet. I'd suggest going though if for no other reason than to keep the peace with your DH since he is happy about this.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:53 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I should add, dh is at work, I meant going by myself.
    BabyBugsmama

Comment by BabyBugsmama (original poster) at 11:53 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Well if he's at work you could just say you wanted to wait for him to go with you. Is that a possibility?
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:57 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I have two sisters and when they had their daughters, I felt like I just had the babies. Sisters have a close and very special bond, this is why you share such excitement with your sisters.  Make sure you don't make your SIL in law feel left out, try to make her feel special.  Send your SIL a card with a sweet note in it congratulating her.  Maybe you feel like you will be in the way at the hospital?? It would be a nice gesture if you did go to the hospital with your husband.  Congratulations on being a aunty again!!

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 11:58 AM on May. 17, 2011

• be happy
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 12:31 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I am happy, just not as excited as I was when my sisters had kids.
    BabyBugsmama

Comment by BabyBugsmama (original poster) at 1:15 PM on May. 17, 2011

• you'll get there.... I would do anything for my niece and nephew (by marriage) and I've only been part of the family for three years. Let that little personality grow on you and you be just as thrilled to be in his life as you are your "biological" niece and nephews
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 3:23 PM on May. 17, 2011

• It is natural to feel closer to your own blood kin than to inlaws by marriage.
    Honda309

Answer by Honda309 at 4:37 PM on May. 17, 2011