What are some things I can substitute my boredom with?

When I get bored I eat. Sometimes it's okay like an apple, banana, orange, etc but sometimes it's a handful of chocolate candies. I get bored eating the same foods and I usually eat just out of boredom and not because I'm hungry. I am trying to slim down and tone up at the same time. I also eat a decent (not huge but not so small I'm starving myself) meal around anytime in between 4:30-6 and by the time I am ready for bed I get hungry again and I know that it is not good to eat right before bed. So any suggestions?

Amanda_Jo1209

Asked by Amanda_Jo1209 at 12:05 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Do things that make it hard to eat- things like take a bath, go for a walk, go to a different room you don't eat in. Whenever I'm starting to eat out of boredom I go to my bedroom. I never eat in there so the desire tends to fade if I hang out there for awhile. Maybe eat a little less for dinner and then have a small (healthy, low cal) snack an hr before bed so it's spread out a little more. Personally, I prefer to go to bed a little hungry (not starving) I tend to sleep better than if I have a really full belly.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 12:10 PM on May. 17, 2011

• mani-pedi, go for a brisk walk or do a couple flights of stairs with a LARGE glass of water. Doing a short activity will distract you and not get you all swety and gross where it's a full on work out with a shower and having to get all dolled up again.
    triciabc21

Answer by triciabc21 at 1:11 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Use your HEAD, your mind. I don't think you will be bored if you have things to read, places to go such as a Library. If you have kids at home, interact with them. If your kids are in school all day, go get a part time job---that will keep you busy for sure. I am always amazed when Moms post here that they are BORED!!! How can that be? You are alive and there is so much to do,to see, to experience ...just going for a walk or reading a good book! OMG....bored?
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 1:15 PM on May. 17, 2011

• a mani-ped?
    Now that's intelligent. HA.
    Anonymous

• Gum! Tons of flavors- pretty low calories especially if you limit yourself to half a stick.
    You can also try leaving the kitchen- or better yet, even the house. Go on a bike ride or a walk!

Good luck!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 3:38 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I have struggled with that, too. I've learned to ask myself whether I am hungry or bored, and it can be tough to distinguish. Have a glass of water, because we often mistake thirst for hunger. Then, pick up a book or magazine, go for a walk, clean something, do ANYTHING but grab something in the kitchen. There's ALWAYS something to be cleaned at my house! =)
    Consider the health risks of being overweight. Consider whether eating this snack or that is worth the health problems later in life, the pain in your joints, being held back by your weight.
    Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:40 PM on May. 17, 2011