How many?

Seriously, how many deities threaten you with eternal pain/damnation if you not follow them?

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 12:05 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Many of them. Ok, not the Taoist God.. but a lot of them. I can't remember specifics any more, as I researched this in college the first time around, +10 years ago.. Some of the Eastern ones..

BTW: Let me give you another thought about it. What if the Lord more likely just knows that is what it will be like without Him? Sorta like as parents we know that when our kids go off on their own, they will be sad, lonely, or have a hard fiscal time, making bad choices.
    That's how I see it.. You have to look at biblical concepts as a WHOLE, not piece by piece, to properly interpret the meaning.
    Harmy

Answer by Harmy at 12:09 PM on May. 17, 2011

• If a child turns away from a loving parent don't they have the pain of not receiving that love? BTW i don't believe in the fire and brimstone Hell. I believe in the hell of solitude. So if I turn away because of my own choices I'm left completely alone.
    daps

Answer by daps at 12:24 PM on May. 17, 2011

• To answer the question there are a few that punish their followers if they don't obey. Most of the Roman and Greek Gods for instance.
    daps

Answer by daps at 12:26 PM on May. 17, 2011

• This many

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 12:37 PM on May. 17, 2011

• daps

Answer by daps at 12:43 PM on May. 17, 2011

• This many

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell

--

Very few threaten with ETERNAL damnation, hell, etc. If you read the details, some of those are examples of religions that do NOT have a concept of Hell but compare the concept to ideas within that religion. Some, like Zoroastrianism, have something similar, but it's temporary--like a purgatory or purification by fire. So, the Abrahamic faiths and maybe a few others depending on whether you include the ones that see it as a temporary state of being or a temporary place.

FYI--there is no Taoist God. There are no personal gods in Taoism (it's typically pantheistic), but sometimes philosophies, like Taoism or Buddhism are mixed with other locals traditions, so some may believe in gods, spirits, etc. but most do not and it's not part of the original teachings.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:49 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I don't believe any do. I believe there are people who think they do, though.

If you're going based off of what some officially claim for their faith, just Christianity, as far as I know. Even Judaism and Islam will admit that non-Jews or Muslims stand at least some kind of chance, but there are many Christians (granted, not all of us), who do believe that if you're not Christian you're out of luck.... Out of my study, it's the only faith where such an idea is taught or proclaimed..
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:58 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Who knows? There are so many religions besides the major ones that it would be hard to say.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:49 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I wouldn't fair a guess at a number since I don't even have a clue how many Gods there are out there. But a great many of them, or at least a great many of the belief systems surrounding them have some sort of afterlife threat. In Ancient Greece for example, Hades had THREE rings. The Elysian fields were for the Heros, the Blessed and those who were yet unborn. The Asphodel Fields were for the general masses - those who were just your normal every day people. And Tartarus where the Damned were to spend eternity being tortured. However, unlike today's common faiths, judgment wasn't based on whether or not you obeyed the Gods as much as it based on how you lived your life.

From what I've found there tends to be more belief systems which base judgment on overall lifestyle than on how one does or doesn't follow or obey one or more of the Gods involved...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:09 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Seriously, how many deities promise you an eternal, glorious future if you DO follow them?
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 2:20 PM on May. 17, 2011