How bad is it that I need anxiety meds just to go to work?

I take several medications for Bipolar and one of them is Clonipin. Well, my bathroom bottle was empty this morning so I didn't take it first thing... figured I'd get to work and take it from my purse bottle, but I couldn't make it ten min into the drive before having to pull over and take it to keep the nausea down just to MAKE it to work.
I have been miserable at my job for years now, but dh has no insurance right now so I absolutely have to keep this job... but seriously, I can't make the drive to work without being medicated? Are there any suggestion on how I can calm myself and not rely so much on the medication?

hollydaze1974

Asked by hollydaze1974 at 12:10 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Health

• Its all the joys of being crazy ( I am right there with you too mama!! )
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:12 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I used to have to take anxiety meds. I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I hated the way any pills made me feel so I went to another doctor who gave me something else. I also went to counseling and learning coping skills. You should try that or google online coping skills and see if any of them work for you.

Answer by gemgem at 12:15 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I know how you feel. My job is full is pressure...alot.of it seems unnecessary to be honest. Last yr i had an anxiety attack. Its time to look for something different, less stressful
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 12:17 PM on May. 17, 2011

• i can't do a lot of things either without having an anxiety attack, and i do feel anxious pretty much all day. i'm about to start seeing a psychologist to talk it out, i want to try this before seeing a psychiatrist that will just put me on meds. i recently learned that anxiety is not a mental illness or "disorder", it's simply a natural response to fear and the fight or flight response. our response has been reset to be anxious anytime we feel impending danger/stress, so the real cure is finding out how to reset it back to what it use to be. anti-depressants may alleviate your symptoms but it's not treating the actual cause, which is why you need your medicine still. i'd recommend seeing a psychologist as well to help you work out your anxiety issues and get down to the root of it. good luck!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:21 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I get nervous for no reason. It's getting better... but in high school, I would get stomach aches every single day before heading to school. I don't know why, but I did. I get like that for work sometimes too.
    Good luck!
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 12:24 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Hugs. . . .

Keep in mind that what you are feelingaround dose-time is not all organic anxiety. When you take Klonopin, Xanax, Valium, or any other of that class for a period of time, you will experience a daily withdrawal that worsens arounf dose-time. So, if you don't take it in the morning, you will get panicky, ancious, nauseous, headachy, etc.

Unfortunately, that happens even if you are taking the meds because you truly need them. You build up a tolerance. It just happens.

Talk to your doctor about it. There may be a better time for you to take it, or a med switch may be in order.

Anxiety does get better, if you work on it. Therapy is very, very good.

I am so sorry that is happening. I know it is scary to be anxious like that when you are driving.

Hugs.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:26 PM on May. 17, 2011

• btw, hope i didn't come off as sounding "anti-meds", ive just recently learned that a lot of doctors are quick to prescribe medicine for anxiety but not actually look at the bigger picture. and this does not help out the suffering patient, it only makes them become dependant on the medicine and still have unresolved anxiety issues. anxiety itself is natural so the coping process should be natural also. but i am not belittling or judging you for taking meds to alleviate it, hell when mine gets really bad i'm desperate for anything that will take it away quickly.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:34 PM on May. 17, 2011

• oh, I didn't take it as anti meds, and I understand why some are. I just wasn't expecting it to come on just because I was less that a half hour late taking them. and some anxiety is all in my head... some is not... I"m not good at telling the difference
    hollydaze1974

Comment by hollydaze1974 (original poster) at 12:40 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Been there and felt that! I don't know your situation, but recently I've begun looking at the anxiety attacks in a different light. When I am able to, I try to step back mentally and ask myself, what is my body trying to tell me? In doing that and practicing simple meditation techniques, I came to realize that when I fail to listen to my body's warning signals, the signals don't just go away, it gets worse! For me the anxiety I felt was warning me that I was running extremely low on mental energy and that I needed to land this plane ASAP! I have major depression disorder and adhd, so yes I still do take meds, but the meds can only help so much. Remember to give yourself the time your mind and body needs to recover...you well worth the time and effort!
    Shellbell001

Answer by Shellbell001 at 4:35 PM on May. 17, 2011