How long should you lactate after you stop breastfeeding?

I was only able to breast feed my child for the first month, I wasnt making enough milk for him, now he's almost a year old and I am still producing some milk is that mormal?

heather_p719

Asked by heather_p719 at 12:17 PM on May. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• Some women never stop producing milk.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:18 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I still have milk. She is 4 and weaned herself at 11.5 months.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:20 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I only breastfed for abour 3 months and never exclusively but I still produced a little milk well after he turned 2.
    Anonymous

• Obviously you were making plenty of milk, he just hit a growth spurt and you panicked because you didn't have a single person around you who knew enough and had the nerve to tell you that a growth spurt at 4-6 weeks is totally normal.  You are questioning the wrong thing here. 

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 1:24 PM on May. 17, 2011

• The amount of time, from what I have read, varies tremendously. However, there are ways to decrease it significantly if you are sure you want to stop. Often in the first monht, it takes time for your milk to REALLY come in for your baby. If they keep nursing, you can supplement them, and then just keep them nursing and wean them fromt he rest as your milk coms in. There are also teas "Traditional Medicinals - Mother's Milk" for instance, that will naturally improve milk production. Also, lots of sleep, lots of water (think - 3 quarts + ), will also help milk come in.

To slow or stop it? Believe it or not, warm cabbage leaves.
    "Avoid breast stimulation. When you shower, turn your back to the spray.
    If the milk leaks, try bending forward with your bra off, don't express it."
    Cabbage Compresses (unless allergic to sulfa or cabbage) or Sage Tea have been used for centuries to dry up milk. You can make the tea or buy it
    Harmy

Answer by Harmy at 1:27 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I only leaked for like a month, and it took me about 2 weeks before I could stop pumping all the time, I just slowly weaned off of it. Good luck!
    Dara0820

Answer by Dara0820 at 1:53 PM on May. 17, 2011