How long should I wait to tell my employer I am Prego?

I started about 5 weeks ago with a new job. At the time I was 6 wks prego but didn't disclose it due to me not wanting to be passed up for employment. Now at 11 wks I feel myself beginning to show and really want to be open and honest and want to tell my managers. When and How should I tell them?

amommy2a2yrold

Asked by amommy2a2yrold at 12:23 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Money & Work

• A lot of people don't tell people they are pregnant until the second trimester to make sure that the fetus survives. So tell them next week. And if they find a "reason" to fire you shortly after then I would definitely look into filing a complaint for wrongful termination. But I'm sure they won't fire you, especially if you are a good worker.
    HollyBoBolly

Answer by HollyBoBolly at 5:17 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Just tell them. They can't fire you for it. Tell them you just found out.
    Anonymous

• This is a complex question. By not telling them, you lied by ommission. They don't know that, though.
    You could follow that lie with another lie (only if they ask) by telling them you weren't sure. You could, however, (only if they ask) tell them that you weren't sure it was viable. Had you seen a doctor yet? Six weeks is really early to know.

Though they can not legally fire you for preg., most employees are on official/unofficial probation - they are watching for errors. It would not be hard (and has been done) for them to use other reasons to discharge you for your unemployment, so this is not a decision to be entered into lightly.

If you plan to return to work right away after the baby is born, then you can use that as a positive point when you DO tell them. Eventually you WILL have to tell them, but they won't know so early on. Also I would wait at least until 14 weeks. That's when risk of miscarriage drops to 1-3%.
    Harmy

Answer by Harmy at 12:34 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I don't tell anyone I am pregnant (besides DH) until after 12 weeks.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:40 PM on May. 17, 2011

• They will understand if you tell them that you wanted "to make sure all was good" before you said anything. While it would be very easy for them 'to find a reason" to get rid of you, that is their problem. Basically if they are going to be bastards about it then you really can't prevent it. But you do want to tell them before they notice. Just have something of a plan in mind. Will you have to stop lifiting 50 lbs. boxes? Are there any chemical concerns in your work place? Deal with maternity leave later. Just focus on the next 5-6 months right now.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 12:47 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I would wait until past 12 to 14 wks and then tell them. You can always use the "wasn't sure everything was ok" line
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 12:55 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Tell your employer when you can no longer hide the fact that you are pregnant. Be very positive, and do not apologize! Present your plan for transitioning your workload and covering your responsibilities.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:43 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Do you think that would fly at 11 weeks? I was thinking of saying I wanted to be sure all was good prior to telling everyone... But I really don't want to seem like I am lying.
    amommy2a2yrold

Comment by amommy2a2yrold (original poster) at 12:28 PM on May. 17, 2011