This mama is going to help herself for once, a little scared so does anyone know what I should expect?

Ok, I wont go into great detail but I had things happen to me when I was younger that have been eating at me for a very long time now and I can't take it anymore! And I have been dealing with PPD (I think?!?) and I finally decided to get help. I start counseling in a few days and Im so scared because I have no idea what to expect or how much detail they are going to want to get into. Any advice would be VERY much appreciated mamas!!

Mikayla_lynn

Asked by Mikayla_lynn at 12:27 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Health

• Theyll do an intake first and ask you what you want to get out of your counseling. You will set up goals with the counselor. Theyll only ask for basic information or whatever you want comfortable with talking about. They never force you to talk about things. You are there for you. Dont be scared, it is something more people than you think go to.

Answer by gemgem at 12:29 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Oh, it will be such a relief.

Usually, the first session will entail filling out a pretty standard form, talking about your depression, sleep, etc., and talking about identifying issues that may be bothering you right now.

Later sessions will be open for you to talk, and for the therapist to help you think through things and come up with solutions or exercises that may help.

Every therapist has a different technique, so if this one doesn't seem to be helping you much, always feel open to find another one. It is your money.

Good luck!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:32 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Congrats mama!!! You will be amazed how easy the process is to get the counseling going....deep breath and keep on moving!! These people are professional and very emphathetic.  you rockSo proud of you!!!!!!

Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 12:32 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Thanks!!
    Mikayla_lynn

Comment by Mikayla_lynn (original poster) at 12:32 PM on May. 17, 2011

• A good counselor will NOT push you hard for things that make you uncomfortable. There are a number of different strategies yall can use to work through things, and it should be at your pace. However, if you end up stunted, they may press a little bit, but should never be to a degree you are uncomfortable with, and if it is, then let them know.

The ladies are right - I've been in a couple different counseling scenarios before - and certainy right about switching it up if the person makes you uncomfortable. Just remember that you will be uncomfortable, naturally, with some things you've kept to yourself for a very long time. I'm not sure if you are seeing a LCSW (licensed clinical social worker), a Psychologist (a licensed and trained talk therapist), or a Psychiatrist (a licensed, trained, talk therapist who may also add meds), but just be comfy with them.

For me, at times it was real easy to talk, at others not so much.
    Harmy

Answer by Harmy at 1:08 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Reveal as much as you are comfortable with, especially at the beginning when you are establishing trust with a new counselor. Sometimes it is hard to even put words to a situation and the emotions that come with it, don't worry about saying it right, ask your counselor to clarify what he/she thought you said so that you can be sure that you are both on the same page. Take as much time as you need to take, I've found that confronting old repressed feelings for me has caused some overwhelming emotional reactions (and physical). I find that journaling has helped me to sort through those emotions after you leave the counselor's office. I commend you for your strength and bravery for taking the initiative to take care of yourself!
    Shellbell001

Answer by Shellbell001 at 6:51 PM on May. 17, 2011