Do you cuss in front of your children?

Why or why not?

Dkhilly

Asked by Dkhilly at 12:32 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I've let a few words slip but as a rule, no I don't curse in front of my daughter....she hears everything and will repeat what she's heard at the most inconveniant times possible...to me it's not appropriate for a 4 yr old to be cursing lol...and if she hears mommy doing it all the time how am I supposed to tell her not to? So...I just try not to let her see/hear me doing anything that I wouldnt be comfortable saying/doing in public
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 12:36 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Nope. My kids think shut up is a bad word if that tells you anything lol.

Answer by gemgem at 1:31 PM on May. 17, 2011

• nope.. because i was taught not to cuss .. my parents never let us cuss and well i still can't cuss in front of them.. i hope my children are respectful enough not to use such awful language.
    EvansMommy31605

Answer by EvansMommy31605 at 12:35 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I try not to cuss, but occasionally it slips out...usually when I am upset. I teach my kids not to cuss and when it does come out, I tell them that I made a mistake and that they shouldn't cuss. Other people have cussed in front of them and I think it is almost impossible for them not to hear it with the world around them.
    Ms.Maricel

Answer by Ms.Maricel at 12:39 PM on May. 17, 2011

• yes. I always have they know they are not allowed to cuss until they are older
    Anonymous

• nope. i dont curse in front of my kids or when my kids are not around
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 1:38 PM on May. 17, 2011

• we curse like sailors, yes. My kids occasionally say "oh shit" if they drop something.... never in school/public though. As long as the curse words are used a descriptive words "I am so F-ing tired" or "the phone bill didn't get paid in time, shiiiiiiiiiit" and not used as bad words to hurt others feelings it doesn't bother me. My kids are angelic in public and have a great personal filter.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:30 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I don't buy in to the "bad words" crap... Words are nothing more than letters... As long as they aren't being used to harm anyone, there's nothing wrong with them... And that's just what I teach my kids!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:17 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I meant that I wouldnt be comfortable WITH HER saying/doing in public
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 12:37 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Not very often...only spontaneously if I am in great pain, like when I dropped something on my toe,etc....LOL...but I wanted to be a good role model and keep my language clean. How can you tell your kids to not "cuss" if you do it in front of them? That is hypocritical.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:42 PM on May. 17, 2011