GPA of a 3.8

Since when is a 3.8 culimitive GPA near advantage. A 3.82 puts my oldest at #102 out of a class of 313 at the end of her sophomore year. She has honors in English 2 AP science classes and 2 AP history classes plus lots of volunteer work and plays basketball and runs track and throws field events.
It is just frustrating to see her work so hard only to fall towards the bottom of the top third of her class. Yes others work hard also Holiday also know that many students have fluff classes

mtnaspen

Asked by mtnaspen at 12:40 PM on May. 17, 2011 in

• Colleges look at so much more than GPA. And class rank means nothing after graduation.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:42 PM on May. 17, 2011

• That is a great average, celebrate it and forget about the placing!

Answer by older at 12:44 PM on May. 17, 2011

• You already know the answer. Sounds like she is taking tough classes and earning good marks, while others are taking "fluff/easy A" classes for theirs.

Colleges definitely look at the types of classes, letters of recommendation, writing samples, placement tests, ACT/SAT scores, etc more than class rank. I can't even remember being asked for my class rank on any application.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:05 PM on May. 17, 2011

• They're right. Also, they look at social and community involvement. Also, you might ask the Dean if there are classes she can take toward a college degree. Many high schools have programs like that, and colleges sometimes have summer programs.. She doesn't want to be overwhelmed.. I woud just be proud of her and not afraid for her. Just see what opportunities you can drum up..
    Harmy

Answer by Harmy at 1:51 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Does your school weight the higher classes? I know here an A in average classes is a 4.0, but in an AP class it's weighted as a 5.0. It kinda evens out the kids who are taking easier classes against those who are working harder.

Answer by missanc at 2:23 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Some of those "fluff" classes you are talking about actually have a lot of work...for example ART...I was 99 in a class of 400...I had "fluff" and AP classes...both of which led me to where I am now...grad school.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 9:20 PM on May. 17, 2011

• There are that many kids getting almost all A's?! Wow! Yeah, the rankings sound unfairly biased, but honestly there is no reason to care about it. Class ranking doesn't really matter for colleges, and it DEFINITELY doesn't matter in life. Sounds like she's a smart, hardworking kid who should just keep doing what she's doing.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 1:35 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Colleges/Universities will look at her GPA and her extra-curricular activities. She should be fine.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:04 AM on May. 20, 2011