How do I house train my puppy?

My husband and I got our six year old a puppy for her birthday. He is crate trained perfectly but if I let him run in the house for even five minutes he voids. How do you properly house train? I do not believe in rubbing his nose in it.

BridgeEbb

Asked by BridgeEbb at 12:41 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Pets

• Good! The nose thing is gross and does not work. Can u let him out in the yard? Then right after he does his thing bring him back in.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:43 PM on May. 17, 2011

• How old is the puppy?
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 12:46 PM on May. 17, 2011

• a lot like you would potty-train a child. you take him out frequently and praise praise praise. the more praise he receives the better and quicker he's likely to learn that this is where he should pee/poop. i also do not believe in nose-rubbing, that does nothing but instill fear and regress the process.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:47 PM on May. 17, 2011

• How old is puppy? Outside every 1/2 hour to an hour. Be sure to monitor when he is eating/drinking and get him outside after about 10 to 15 minutes. at about 8-9 months old I cut my dog (yorkshire terrior) to three meals a day. Also for the time being do not let puppy have run of the house. Keep the puppy in the same room with you by gating. Time and patience lol is the key. My female yorkie just turned 1 on the second of May and is just now getting the potty thing. My other dog a pom/chiu mix had no problem potty training and was totally trained by 6 months with no accidents. Good Luck!
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 12:49 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I usually only let him run around the house right after he goes. He still seems to find some more lol. He is 6 months old.
    BridgeEbb

Comment by BridgeEbb (original poster) at 12:50 PM on May. 17, 2011

• crate training... and take him out on a regular basis.. have to teach puppies to hold their bladder, easiest way for that is a crate, dogs don't pee/poop where they sleep..
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 12:59 PM on May. 17, 2011

• he's marking his territory as well... can try a spray bottle... spray him everytimehe sprays...
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 1:01 PM on May. 17, 2011

• My collie was potty trained within a few wees of me bringing her home. My redbone hound puppy, however, took a couple of months. I've never had much problem potty training.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 1:20 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Don't give him run of the house at all until he is potty trained. Keep him sectioned off in one room, I recommend a tiled room that has a door to the back yard. I know my kitchens always led to the back yard. Tile is easy to clean in the event of an accident and keeping him in that room may even encourage him to start going to the door to let you know he has to go. Sit in the room with him on the computer or something and take him out every thirty minutes. Leave his kennel open for him to go in and out as he pleases. When he isn't having accidents anymore or alerting you to his need to go, give him more access to the house one room at a time. This helps to gradually introduce him to his new home which is how they would go about it naturally. By progressively wandering farther and farther from the den (kennel).
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 6:27 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I agree with MamaStuart, but wanted to add one thing. If the puppy isn't on a feeding schedule, get him on one. It will help give you an idea of when he should need to go potty. Look at the feeding guidelines on the bag and divide it into 2 feedings (or 3, if you prefer, but at his age, 2 should be fine). Take him outside about 20 minutes after he eats, when he wakes up in the morning and from naps, right before bed, and about every 30 minutes during the day. Once he gets better at going outside only, you can increase the time between outings. Take him out the same door each time so that he'll know where to go to let you know he wants out. You can even tie a bell on the door and teach him to ring it each time he goes out.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:48 AM on May. 19, 2011