Fired for not having "spark"

My DH is an RN. He was been working at this hospital as an RN for about 4 months now. He did his 3 week orientation and everyone who oriented said he did great for being his first RN job. He has been doing well since then, they expect you still need some time to learn everything and learn to get everything done in the right amount of time HOWEVER he has never had a major problem and he hasn't been written up or anything. Then about a week ago (right after he told his coworkers that I am pregnant) his nurse manager comes to him and says that a patient complained about him again (she was back since the week before and complained about him then). The ignored the first one since she complains about a lot of the nurses but the second one they had to talk to him about. Turns out, she didn't like how long it would take him to get to her room (he was taking care of 3 other patients, one who's heart rate was acting funny and 2 others were having a hard time breathing. This woman was waiting to see if she needed sugary. The nurse manager said that he doesn't seem to have a "spark". They are putting him back on orientation but she said if she doesn't see an improvement, it could "cost him his job". I really would like to know if she plans on putting "lack of spark" on his form if she fires him. He goes to work, does his job, what more do they want? I am just so irritated!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Money & Work

• Hmmm tough one. I would seriously look into contacting a lawyer for wrongful dismissal case if it does happen. It sounds like they are preparing him for the worst already. GL.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 12:58 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I can understand where you are coming from. But I do believe a nurse or Dr. needs to have a good attitude or sense of humor. If you are sick, you don't want a "snobby" or "better than you" type person taking care of you. Does that make any sense? Anyway, I hope everything turns out well and he gets to keep his job.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 12:59 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I would presume by "spark" she is referring to "bed side manner"...and I doubt that she would put "spark" on the termination form, it would probably be "poor bedside manner and patient complaints".

I would probably tell him to sparkle his ass off to get the lady off his butt.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:59 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I am so sorry. That kind of thing always causes so much stress. I think maybe you guys need to sit down together and brain storm ways that could help him connect with each of his patients. I would ask his boss or the other employees some tips on how to handle a situation like this. go to orientation with an open mind. I feel nurses are some of the greatest people in the world because they are so selfless and caring. Look at this as a good thing and self improvement.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 1:00 PM on May. 17, 2011

• You know you have to be a people pleaser for this job regardless of how many patients there are there is always a way to keep all of them happy, but it is stressful......................

Answer by older at 1:00 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I don't know, I think they are just trying to scare him into working harder (helping other nurses with their patients or doing the nursing assistant work for his patients to free up the nursing assistants for the other nurses) without paying him anymore. He is just going to work his butt off so they can't say anything (if you work harder then anyone else, they can't say anything to you).
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:01 PM on May. 17, 2011

• No, it's not his bedside manner, he even asked that and she said that was fine. It's more like he isn't driven to do as much as he possibly can as quickly as he can like the other nurses do (which leaves NO room for bedside manner). He schedules his day to get everything done with a 15 min for lunch. The other nurses run their asses off so they can sit and gossip for their hour lunch.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:04 PM on May. 17, 2011