Dealing with my BFs sister...

I recently moved into my BFs parents house so we can save money and be out by august and she HATES me. To top it off she doesnt work and neither do i so were home together all day for about 12 hours. Ive tried talking to her and i just get an attitude. She has no reason to hate me. I have no idea what to do to get this tension out of the air.

campbellb3421

Asked by campbellb3421 at 1:18 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Relationships

• As my 6 yr old says youre gonna have to suck it up buttercup. Sometimes people just dont get along. There is no rhyme or reason. My oldest dd is 21 and hates every girl her brothers date. She thinks they are too goody goody, not goody goody enough, wear too much make up, dont wear enough make up. Maybe this is just the way this sister is to? She may never think anyone is good enough for her brother.

Answer by gemgem at 1:24 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Thank you gemgem. That helps me see things from a different view.
    campbellb3421

Comment by campbellb3421 (original poster) at 1:27 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Youre welcome. Personally with my dd I think it is funny, but I am sure the gfs dont think it is. I tell my 17 yr old his gf must really love him to put up with his sister LOL.

Answer by gemgem at 1:29 PM on May. 17, 2011

• depending on her age, she may feel threatened. Like you are taking her brother away from her and he will no longer be there when she needs him. Has BF tried to take her for dinner and talk with her? Does the parents treat u good. Maybe try getting her to open up to them and see whats going on? OR can you guys go somewhere and hangout during the day, like lunch or a park or something.? Hang in there.
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 1:36 PM on May. 17, 2011

• His parents and his older brother love me and theyve all tried telling her that I am considered family since she will be having a niece in september but she still acts hateful towards me. Shes 2 years older than me and 1 year older than her brother. My BFs mom is taking me shopping tonight to get baby clothes and we tried getting her to agree to go but she wont.
    campbellb3421

Comment by campbellb3421 (original poster) at 1:42 PM on May. 17, 2011

• You can't please everyone. let it go, she will eventually come around, can't push it. and if she doesn't oh well , its her loss not yours. i wouldn't fret about it.
    lucky35

Answer by lucky35 at 3:11 PM on May. 17, 2011

• My SIL occasionally acts as if I'm not good enough for her brother. Never mind we've been married for nearly 17 years. I think a lot of it is that she is older and doesn't (and never has had) a relationship for more than a few weeks. She never had kids (she's now closing in on 50, 6 yrs older than me) and their older sisters and families live overseas, so my kids were "it" and her parents love me. A lot to take, isn't it. Your "sil" may have some of those same feelings and she might not even realize it.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:32 PM on May. 17, 2011