What did your children’s school do for your advanced child?

My daughter is in kindergarten and has been disrupting class almost all year (talking during lessens) her teacher and I are sure it’s because she already knows what they are learning, she already know all her letters, how to read and could count to 100+ before she even started school. I talked to her school about what we can do for her because I want her to succeed, not be bored and stop learning; they said they only have advanced programs for 4th grad and up. I’m wandering what your children’s school did for you? If you have any advice for what I can do to help her not talk in school? Also is there anything I can do (that is not expensive) so she won’t get bored with school?

MomaMegan

Asked by MomaMegan at 1:19 PM on May. 17, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• They should be able to go ahead and test her. The schools routinely test in 3rd grade and start the AG program in 4th grade (although the AG teacher takes a select group of students in 3rd grade), but they CAN test early if requested. My son tested up and was sent into the next higher grade for math, where he was in with the small group of students that were working a year ahead (he was 2 years ahead in math). You could consider having her skip a grade? But regardless, you need to find a behavior plan that works for her whether she knows the material or not. You can homeschool too - it's not that expensive.

Answer by missanc at 1:51 PM on May. 17, 2011

• You can have her tested, although you might have to do it privately. Find out what the protocol is for your district.

Our school (private) generally begins what is called the Challenge Program in the second half of 2nd grade -5th grade. It is a gifted and talented pull out program that works by having the kids think differently. One year they did a project of passion, one time it was a imaginary sensory walk through a store and using what they found to rewrite a fairly tale; it was all pretty neat stuff.

Now my older ones are in honors classes and miss the challenge school stuff.

You can get work books and stuff for her to do over the summer. I tend to use them so they don't forget everything they've learned in the subjects that challenged them (like DD and algebra.)
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:28 PM on May. 17, 2011