Park Bans Breastfeeding for children over 2. What are your thoughts?

Forest Park Restricts Public Breast Feeding

A new law in metro Atlanta will limit breast feeding in public.On Monday night, Forest Park passed a public indecency ordinance to prevent public nudity. Previously, the city only had a public indecency ordinance that covered adult entertainment businesses.According to the law, no woman can breast feed anyone older than 2 years old in public. City manager John Parker called the law a proactive step.“It sets up a process whereby we can try to control nudity throughout the entire city," Parker said.
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/27920007/detail.html

daughteroftruth

Asked by daughteroftruth at 1:20 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• can of worms

minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 1:21 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Since such a small fraction of the population breastfeeds past the age of 2, let alone in public, I don't get why they felt they HAD to add this part to their ordnance. I see it as unnecessary and discriminatory.
    daughteroftruth

Comment by daughteroftruth (original poster) at 1:22 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Minnesotanice... its a debate forum... DEBATE... of course its a can of worms, its a debate!!!
    daughteroftruth

• Who breast feeds a child that old?! Wow that does seem inappropriate to me. I don't really want to see anyone breastfeeding in public though.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 1:27 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I think in all honesty, society as a whole, is just plain uncomfortable with public breastfeeding. Don't misinterpret this as stab at breast feeding, I am all for it. BUT, to a bystander who happens to walk by, the last thing they want to see is some strangers breast. Yes, it's natural, and yes, you are feeding your child, but not everyone is going to look at boobs and think "baby food". It's just human nature and a fact to face, especially in today's world. The sexuality that is present has grown and things aren't like they used to be.
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 1:30 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I think it is strange to assign an age limit. I am curious to know how they chose that? Is that the "magic age" they think breast milk stops having value?

The longest I have ever nursed is about 17 months, but I would have a problem being told by the state when it was "no longer appropriate" to feed by child the way I think is best.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:31 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Obviously they must have had a problem with someone uncovered breastfeeding an older child that caused a stir. I wouldn't want to see that while I was enjoying a day at the park either. You can do it discretely though or in your car.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:31 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I would not be comfortable to go to a park with my kid, and see a woman breastfeeding a 3 or 4 year old. I wouldn't want to have to try to explain something that odd to my son.
    wenona_mandy

Answer by wenona_mandy at 1:32 PM on May. 17, 2011

• And personally, i don't want to see someone breastfeeding either. My cousin's wife did that. i was sitting next to her and she just whipped it out and it made me uncomfortable. I always went into a private room or used a cover. I don't think it's asking much to be a little discreet about it.
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 1:32 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Ms, Gwen, not a large percentage of the American population breastfeeds after age 2, but according to anthropological studies natural human weaning ages is between 2.4 yrs and 7 yrs. The WHO recommends breastfeeding at least till the age of two and then longer if baby and mom want to. Studies have only really been done on the benefits up to the age of two, but up to that age, the child and mother still reap amazing life long health benefits. Its uncommon to many people because its rare for woman to breastfed, let alone past the age of 6 mo to a year. It is uncommon, not because it does not have great health benefits, but because its become socially unacceptable because woman have been over sexulized.
    daughteroftruth

Comment by daughteroftruth (original poster) at 1:33 PM on May. 17, 2011