How do I get my 22 month old to stop biting her nails?

She will bit the till they bleed, I'll trim them and she will just continue to bite them! Her pedi was kinda astonished and didnt have any advice, saying vinegar on her fingers isnt really a good way to do it. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!

SierraLynn

Asked by SierraLynn at 1:32 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• stick this clear nail polish stuff on them and on her fingers. they will taste sooo bad.
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 1:34 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Oh like base and top coat? Good idea!
    SierraLynn

Comment by SierraLynn (original poster) at 1:35 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I have bitten my nails since I was old enough to be able to. Im 27 now and still do lol. My mom tried everything and it didnt work, I now have 2 children and my 5 yr old bites his nails. I cant really do the nail polish thing with him but I just tell him no obviously, and tell him that if he bites them a lot they will bleed(hes afraid of blood) and they will hurt. He doesnt do it too often but ill catch him every now and then and tell him that hes gonna make his fingers hurt and bleed and that its yucky to stick your dirty fingers in your mouth. Hes getting better with it, I just hope his 2 yr old sister doesnt catch on lol. Hope you get your LO to stop biting hers
    mommy_of_2_0609

Answer by mommy_of_2_0609 at 1:48 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Try telling her to stop three time, warn her the last time if she bites her nails again you will put socks on her hands and then when she bites again, put socks on her hands. When you tell her to stop, try adding words in like owchy, or yucky. If you do it, you may want to try n stop yourself too, or at least do it when she cannot see you. If you do not feel comfortable with putting socks on her hands then buy the finger band-aids and put them on every finger she bites, this way she can still use her hands and play, but her nails are not exposed. Hope this helps!

~Syl~
    F43L34

Answer by F43L34 at 3:11 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I dont bite my nails, but DH does. I tell him all the time to stop, so hopefully from a second party will help it sink into him. As far as the socks on her hands, that wont work, I know for a fact. I know because she LOVES to have sicks on her hands. SHe will take them off in the car and they go right onto her hands like gloves. She is so weird.
    SierraLynn

Comment by SierraLynn (original poster) at 3:21 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Then try the band-aids. Or you could even put tape around her wrist, lightly, and only on the sock, not the skin. It will keep it from sliding off easily.
    F43L34

Answer by F43L34 at 4:04 PM on May. 17, 2011