Does anyone else feel like they over-exaggerate about certain things pregnant woman can/cant eat/do?

This cheese is bad for you. Indoor tanning will hurt the baby. That product will harm the fetus. Etc. I feel like there are soooo many things they say we can and cant eat/do that people used to do all the time and we turned out just fine. What are some weird ones or ones you dont agree with that you've heard?

campbellb3421

Asked by campbellb3421 at 1:32 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I followed all the "rules" because sure some people didn't get hurt by certain things, but I really didn't want to take any chances!

Answer by missanc at 1:38 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I really can't think of any right now. However, from what I've read & heard, it seems that there are a ton of things one shouldn't eat or do when pregnant these days. It also seems like the list changes with each Dr., one Dr. will say something is ok & another will term that same thing a definite No No. A lot also depends on whether or not the pregnancy is considered high risk. When I was pregnant, the Dr. told me I could continue to do everything I was used to doing, just not to over-do it and if something became uncomfortable, to stop. I did all kinds of things (normal activities for me) that most Dr.'s would probably be horrified by today. Yes, they probably know more now than they did then but sometimes it does seem that they'd prefer a pregnant woman to just sit still for 9 months. In the end, it's up to each woman how much of the list she wishes to adhere to. Dr.'s can advise but ultimatly the
    choice is the woman's
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 2:18 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I ignored half of the things they said to avoid, but I was prepared to take the personal responsibility if my actions caused a problem during pregnancy...

Baby was born healthy, even though I had runny eggs for breakfast nearly every day from 5 months on!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 2:45 PM on May. 17, 2011

• My husband doesnt even want me to run!! LOL We were playing backyard football and he didnt want me to run in case I tripped! I thought it was really sweet how concerned he was but I think that most things should still be done when pregnant. I understand the drinking and smoking and certain things but what bugs me is the deli meat rule. I LOVE SUBWAY!!! Yet every dr reminds me to cook it and stay away when I can so I do since it seems to be such a big deal but I hate it. My mom ate ham and hot dogs with me and is fine. The hair coloring and tanning bugs me too!!
    alligurl186

Answer by alligurl186 at 3:38 PM on May. 17, 2011

• A close friend of mines dad is a Paramedic...so of course every time I'm around him, he makes sure I eat healthy and stay hydrated. Sometimes I want to listen and sometimes I don't because it gets old hearing someone tell me what to do and how to eat CONSTANTLY.
    But, my mom said its good for me to listen to a health care professional..especially since this is my first baby.
    So I follow the do and don't list, my doctor has given me..and I also try to take everyone's advice.
    hopfmom2011

Answer by hopfmom2011 at 4:05 PM on May. 17, 2011

• what bugs me is the deli meat rule. I LOVE SUBWAY!!! Yet every dr reminds me to cook it and stay away when I can so I do since it seems to be such a big deal but I hate it. My mom ate ham and hot dogs with me and is fine. The hair coloring and tanning bugs me too!! alligurl186

No Deli meat these days? What's wrong with deli meat? The hair coloring thing reminds me of the old "don't perm your hair while pregnant". Something to do with hair not curling I think. Anyway it was an "old wives" tale. Hair coloring seems kind of in that category. Tanning beds..could have something to do with the heat they generate. I don't know, when I was pregnant I colored my hair, ate deli meat, ran, skated, rode horses, jumped rope, etc. Dr.s today would have a fit but all my kids are just fine. These days many of them seem to treat every pregnancy as though its a disease they have to cure.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 9:58 PM on May. 17, 2011