Would you consider an induction in this situation?

So I just found out I am in fact 6 weeks pregnant and due Jan 12, 2012... was hoping I was a lttle further along but oh well. Here is my issue... our insurance deductibles re-set on January 1st so by having a January baby we'd get a bill $2,000 more than it needs to be......in this case, since I'd be 37 weeks the last week in December would you ask for an induction? I just want to avoid that painful whallop to the wallett.

stephanieplante

Asked by stephanieplante at 1:36 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I wouldn't risk the health of my baby to save 2000.00.. The baby could not be ready and end up in the NICU.. That cost could be huge not just talking about money.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:38 PM on May. 17, 2011

• No. Induction carries risk, due dates can be off by two weeks in EITHER direction so you could end up delivering a baby a month prematurely.

I'd eat the $2K.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:40 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I highly doubt that any Dr. would do it. For an induction, the baby needs to be mature enough & in the correct position to go. At 37 weeks the baby may not be in the proper position to be born yet. That's 4 weeks short of when I was induced. 4 weeks is a long time & time needed for the baby to be inside the Mother as long as there are no other medical issues. You would probably end up with a C-section if they did try induction at 37 weeks. That's my opinion anyway.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:41 PM on May. 17, 2011

• yeah I was iffy just thought I'd ask....i hate our stupid insurance lol
    stephanieplante

Comment by stephanieplante (original poster) at 1:59 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Save $250 per month starting NOW, and you'll almost have your deductible for 2012 covered by the time the baby arrives!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 2:31 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Ok I had my son at 37 weeks and he was perfectly healthy and normal. I think it is worth talking to your drs about. it may be the last week in dec before you know but if they are willing to look at it and IF the baby is ready at 37 weeks (which many are) I dont think its wrong to try to do that. Of course you might be like be and go into labor naturally at 37 wks and then you wont have to worry about what to do!
    alligurl186

Answer by alligurl186 at 3:33 PM on May. 17, 2011