Is it possible to get PPD...

When it's not your kid? My step son is two and he whines all the time. I've been taking care of him during the day alone for the last six months and all of a sudden he's never happy, he cries and whines constantly, I put him down for a nap and he'll scream from noon to one. Idk what to do anymore. I know he is at the age where they stop taking naps but if he doesn't take his nap he's crying and whining and miserable by 6PM and if I put him to bed at 6 he'll be up at 5AM which is not happening. I honestly look at him and I'm filled with hate for him which makes me hate myself even more. I cry all the time because I feel guilty for being so angry with him and feeling that way about him. I can't sleep, I have a short temper anymore which anyone can tell you I had infinite patience before, and I'm always so stressed out. My migraines have come back, I get no help because DH works two jobs (I really don't blame him for not helping, just saying) and then on the weekends when he is home, he will get DS out of bed after just twenty minutes saying "Oh, guess he isn't gonna take a nap." I got thrown into this and I just feel so overwhelmed and upset. Is it possible to get PPD from that or is this just plain depression from the situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 PM on May. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't believe that would be considered PPD I think it would just be depression.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 1:40 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I have been exactly where you are with my SS when he was about that age. It was awful but If it's any comfort it ended up being just a phase.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 1:41 PM on May. 17, 2011

• not him, me. Post Partem Depression. Idk what's wrong with him or if this is just being a two year old but I'm having a terrible time dealing with it. I'll honestly put the gate up across the kitchen, go into our bedroom, lock the door and just cry.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:42 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Not likely to be PPD but it sounds as tho your stress level is through the roof.. Stress can cause depression like issues.. Find ways to de-stress and see if you feel better. If not, I would talk to your Dr about depression.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:42 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Did his mother leave suddenly? He may have severe separation anxiety or a attachment problem. Have to tried laying with him until he falls asleep? I know it is hard to do but, if his mother left suddenly he may be afraid of you leaving too, even at 1-2 yrs old they notice things like that. Either way maybe you can get into some counseling for both of you so, you can get hands-on advice in dealing with him. good luck.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:45 PM on May. 17, 2011

• girl where is this kids mom? I would personally find her and put foot in her butt! Its not your resposibility to raise her child..if shes not in the picture put his butt in daycare..Im telling you now if you put up with this and handle it all on your own you will always be the one responsible for it. Take it from someone that knows now later in life (ME). its not worth making your miserable..if you feel this way towards him now believe me you will start to resent your husband before long to because you will reach a breaking point
    Anonymous

• She ran off when he was one. I've been with him since he was 18 months and he's never acted this way. He would take a nap no problem. He was a very happy child and then, all of a sudden, this.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:51 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I also went through the phase where everything had to be done by daddy. I wasn't good enough to do anything. Even stupid things like pushing the cart he was sitting in in the grocery store. He would scream if I tried to push the cart it had to be daddy. He would FLIP out when my SO would even leave the room, if SO wanted to go to the car to get something he had to spend 5 mins talking SS down that he'd be right back and let him watch through the window. It used to bug the crap out of me and I would get so annoyed and honestly I felt hurt because it made me feel like i wasn't good enough for anything when all I wanted to do was be there for this little boy that had been through so much and i wanted to give him motherly love. I felt rejected and it made me angry. But ultimately Im the adult and I had to put my own feelings aside to be considerate of what an emotionally undeveloped little kid was going through.....
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 2:09 PM on May. 17, 2011

• abandonment issues are a bitch to deal with. especially when dealing with a small child that hasn't developed the reasoning and self awareness or communications skills to handle what they are experiencing. I know it is WAY easier said than done but try to see how tough it must be to be small and go through so much. For me sometimes it makes it easier to muster up the patience when I just want to blow up.

If you need to talk feel free to PM me
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 2:11 PM on May. 17, 2011

• postpartum depression is a chemical imbalance cause by the sudden hormonal changes after giving birth. so no, it's not ppd. chemically impossible. sound's more extreme stress. you behavior is normal for that situation
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 2:21 PM on May. 17, 2011