Has anyone ever had an intrauterine insemination (IUI) procedure done? Did it result in a normal pregnancy and normal child? I have reservations because it didn't happen naturally. I have no kids, I'm 39 and time is crucial. Please provide me with some feedback, thanks.

I have great beliefs in God.
I want it to occur naturally, but time is of the essence.
Don't know anyone who has had IUI to know if it's the right choice or not.
Is it effective?
Wonder if I'll have regrets if something is wrong with the baby because I didn't conceive naturally.
Please help me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:36 PM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I have never even heard of that? Have you done research online? That's normally the best way to get answers..

bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 5:39 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• There is very little (if any) risk of having something wrong with the baby. I had 2 IUIs several years ago when I was undergoing problems with fertility. Unfortunately, neither were successful. I was able to eventually conceive naturally though. It isn't horribly invasive at all...if you are using your husbands semen, they will watch your fertility, have you bring in a fresh sample of his semen, and they will sort out the most active and "promising" sperm to put in your uterus. The procedure is MILDLY uncomfortable...they insert a small catheder through your cervix into your uterus and inject the sperm. They will have you lay there for 20 mins or so and then you are free to go. If you have any questions about cost or anything at all, feel free to send me a message.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 5:43 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• No but I know of several people that have had succesful IUI's with normal kids.

One good website to check out is www.hannahsprayer.org

I am a Christian and had infertiltiy issues. I am okay with IUI's but not in vitro - but I am okay with the GIFT procedure, but that's very rare.

((HUG))
    Anonymous

• I had IUI done twice but didn't have any luck. Kabbot is right, it is only very mildly uncomfortable - not painful at all, just a little bit of an odd feeling.
    As far as it being "unnatural" - egg meets sperm is about as basic as you can get. With this prodecure, they even "meet" in the same place as if you had sex. There is no more risk to the baby from IUI than from regular old sex. Even with in vitro, the babies are perfectly healthy and have no more problems than any other babies.

As far as the religious viewpoint, my thought is that if it was wrong and God didn't want babies made that way then the procedures wouldn't work or would result in babies with problems. Since they do work and the babies are fine, I think God is fine with it too.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:58 PM on Dec. 6, 2008