Are their names that make you cringe?

What names do you hear that make you think that the person naming the child has no sense at all?

My dd had a kid in her pre-school class named Tamale. I just thought it was weird. I am also not a fan of Nevaeh.

I used to love the name Hayden....but now it seems overdone. Glad I had a girl so I didn't name her that.

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 1:41 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Baby Names

• It's funny you say that... while picking out names, I'd always have to throw in there at least once that I HATE the name Nevaeh. That's ridiculous.

And my fella would toss in there that he hates the name Naomi because it's "I moan" backwards.
    itsmommalori

Answer by itsmommalori at 11:48 PM on May. 24, 2011

• There are MANY names i think are ridiculous. But the worse is when mama wants it to be "unique" to the point of spelling it in a VERY odd way... that is just plain mean. For the kid's entire life he/she will be having to spell the name and it will constantly be mispronounced.

But the worse is the mothers who get an attitude when the name is mis-spelled or mis-pronounced.  OMG... wacko parents!

Anonymous

• I also don't like Nevaeh. Not a big fan of "car" names either.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 1:50 PM on May. 17, 2011

• There are many especially if it is a virtue--Honesty, Honor, Chastity, and many of the others that have been listed.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:28 PM on May. 17, 2011

• When we were picking out names for my son my DH jokingly suggested we name him Wolfgang Xavier, that got nowhere fast lol.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 2:03 PM on May. 17, 2011

• there are a lot of names that make me cringe! One is Justice...WTF why would you do that to your child! or anything you can't pronounce by looking at it! That is just mean to your child!! PLUS they have to learn how to spell/write those names!! Come on parents help a kidout! You don't have to name them Ashley or Amanda (my name is Amanda lol and quite frankly it's boring!) but don't get all crazy like...oh and Princess or Precious or anything else just ridonculous! goodness! lol

AND another thing, don't go naming your child something that will sound stupid in the professional world as they grow up! sure it's a cute kids name but when they are all grown up they need an adult name something that sounds like they mean business! okay I'm done with my Tirade...(sorry for any misspellings my keys suck and my comp is slow)
    MommyYeoman

Answer by MommyYeoman at 5:03 PM on May. 17, 2011

• How long have you got?

Just some off the top of my head...

Girls: Nevaeh, Honey, Madison, MacKenzie, Destiny, Brinley, Kinley, McKinley, any Mc name on a girl (Mc means 'son of'), Kaylee, Dakota, Cheyenne, Camden, any badly spelled name (Deztinee anyone?!) and any made-up/trashy name.

Boys: Jayden, Kayden, Brayden, Payden, Zayden, Xayden, Rayden, Slayden etc etc. I'm waiting with baited breath for Dayden, Fayden, Flayden, Layden, Nayden, Tayden and Wayden to appear (oh and Mayden, but that one would be for girls).
    wonderwoman1224

Answer by wonderwoman1224 at 6:08 PM on May. 17, 2011

• My MIL thought that I should name ds Langston so he would have dh's initials. What a horrible name for a boy!
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 1:52 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Nevaeh, McKenna or any of the Mc-names, Jaden, Aiden, Kaden, any name that is uniquely spelled.

There are others, but I can't list them all. I'd be here all day. lol.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 2:25 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Well I personally love Hayden. That is my sons name. but the only other hayden I know is a girl. You still cant find personalized things for it so it isnt too overdone. I think as long as you spell the name appropriately and you can actually pronounce it the way it reads you are on the right track. It just isnt fair to give a child a name that cant be read.
    alligurl186

Answer by alligurl186 at 2:33 PM on May. 17, 2011